• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Dogs?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I know quite a few of you around here have a four legged friend you bring wheeling with you.

I'm trying to get my pit lab mix to be more comfortable in the jeep. On road he's fine but he gets a bit nervous when we're off road and won't sit still.

Any tips to get him more comfortable? Are y'all strapping your pups in somehow?

Run him alongside the car until he is tired. Let him in. If he gets restless again, run him alongside the car until tired. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

If you tether your dog in the cabin, consider making the lead long enough that it doesn't hang if you end up on you lid or use a harness. ...or both. I'm no help keeping them still. I don't even try.

There's a harness product called a "Muttslinger" (or "Mutslinger, not sure which)" you can get. Its a full body harness with a leash attachment on the bottom/center of the chest. In the event of a rollover, a short leash will leave the dog hanging from the harness without lynching him/her. Mount an eye in the back seat so the dog has just enough lead to stick his nose out the window.

Crating him and then securing the crate to the floor of the jeep would be the safest way to keep him and you safe. I had similar issues and came to the conclusion that my dog was never going to be comfortable and the added stress of forcing him to come out and play was much worse than any anxiety he would get if I left him home. Worth considering that option too.

Crating him and then securing the crate to the floor of the jeep would be the safest way to keep him and you safe. I had similar issues and came to the conclusion that my dog was never going to be comfortable and the added stress of forcing him to come out and play was much worse than any anxiety he would get if I left him home. Worth considering that option too.

Agreed. But I do want to try it out a bit before deciding which is the best course of action.

Keep doing it. When you're wheeling stop often and let him get out and play so he associates the activity with having fun.

Not much different than taking kids along.

That is why AAT works so well for me.

My pit lab is nervous about everything and super sensitive I just gave up. Good luck.

Keep doing it. When you're wheeling stop often and let him get out and play so he associates the activity with having fun.

x3. Pit/Pointer mix. He likes riding in the truck until I get frustrated if I can't make it up something or am getting ready to smash up my truck, then he gets a nervous just bc I am. If we aren't on something tight/technical and can drive at a couple miles per hour he runs or trots along the trail with the trucks.

I wish mine would just run along side the jeep.

As soon as we start getting into the jeep, he flips his shit to get in. Then when he's inside, he isn't a huge fan of the hard stuff, fast stuff or dusty stuff. He's on/off on wheeling days whether he likes them or absolutely hates his life while doing it. Gonna try one of the above mentioned harnesses to see if his attitude changes.

Back