• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee Recalls

PAPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anyone has ever taken in there old xj to the dealership for recall service lately. What would they say when i pull up with 16 year old trail beaten XJ and ask for a new TPS?

Recall Date:
OCT 02, 1990

Summary:
MALFUNCTION OF FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM THROTTLE POSTITION SENSOR COULD CAUSE INTERMITTENT HIGH ENGINE IDLE SPEED IMMEDIATELY AFTER STARTING ENGINE.

Consequence:
HIGH ENGINE IDLE WHEN CAR IS FIRST PLACED IN GEAR COULDRESULT IN UNEXPECTED ACCELERATION.

Remedy:
REPLACE THROTTLE POSITION SENSORS WITH SENSORS THAT WOULD SEND CORRECT SIGNALS TO THE FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM.

Potential Units Affected:

PAPXJ said:
Just wondering if anyone has ever taken in there old xj to the dealership for recall service lately. What would they say when i pull up with 16 year old trail beaten XJ and ask for a new TPS?

They'll probably ask you why you waited 16 years to take your Jeep for the recall, and promptly tell you where to go.
What else would you expect?

I worked as a service advisor for Chrysler for a couple of years. Regardless of age, if a recall has not been performed, OR if the performed recall fails in any way, BY LAW, Chrysler is required to perform the recall. I can remember doing recalls on vehicles that were almost 20 years old. Call your local dealer, give them the last 8 digits of your VIN, ask them to check for open recalls. If there are any, they will gladly set you an appointment on the spot. While you are there, ask them to print you an options list. This list is free, and will tell you what options came from the factory.

mtnxj said:
I worked as a service advisor for Chrysler for a couple of years. Regardless of age, if a recall has not been performed, OR if the performed recall fails in any way, BY LAW, Chrysler is required to perform the recall. I can remember doing recalls on vehicles that were almost 20 years old.

That's comforting to know.

mtnxj said:
I worked as a service advisor for Chrysler for a couple of years. Regardless of age, if a recall has not been performed, OR if the performed recall fails in any way, BY LAW, Chrysler is required to perform the recall. I can remember doing recalls on vehicles that were almost 20 years old. Call your local dealer, give them the last 8 digits of your VIN, ask them to check for open recalls. If there are any, they will gladly set you an appointment on the spot. While you are there, ask them to print you an options list. This list is free, and will tell you what options came from the factory.

Thank YOU! This will be the first time my xj has been to a dealership since its original purchase.

mtnxj said:

You can do the same check at Jeeps website. Took me a min. to find it but its there. According to the website no recalls for my 90' Cherokee Laredo.

Back