• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jcr 1ton steering

my reason for not using weld in inserts is because the ones i found have a larger OD and i didnt want to take that much material off the knuckle. i wouldnt want to weld the split inserts unless i could spread them for a tight fit before welding. If i have a problem with them, i will probably just sell the dana 30 since i dont have a great alternative and build a 44 for more knuckle material and lock outs.

1. how much larger? the biggest I have seen are 7/8"s... that small amount won't make any difference.

2. I would weld the top in before you spread them, they would still be able to spread enough, and the weld on top will keep them in tight.

The smallest ive seen are 7/8, and those are the splits. i would be ok with tacking one side on top. but i wouldnt want to weld the whole thing. The ones that are meant to be welded in are anywhere from 15/16" all the way to 1" and im not comfortable with that on a d30 knuckle

The smallest ive seen are 7/8, and those are the splits. i would be ok with tacking one side on top. but i wouldnt want to weld the whole thing. The ones that are meant to be welded in are anywhere from 15/16" all the way to 1" and im not comfortable with that on a d30 knuckle

if you welded one of the serious or ruffstuff inserts you would probably have to clean it up with a flap disc and a file. if you kept the puddle on the knuckle mostly, you woudln't have to big of a problem.

I didn't weld my goferit flipserts in at first, thinking that the bolt down pressure would be enough. They ended up loosening up, tie rod got loose and it caused death wobble. Since I welded them in, no problems.

I didn't weld my goferit flipserts in at first, thinking that the bolt down pressure would be enough. They ended up loosening up, tie rod got loose and it caused death wobble. Since I welded them in, no problems.
the goferit inserts are also MEANT to be welded. apples and oranges

Back