• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jan Richey’s 612,000-Mile 1988 Jeep Cherokee

Yup, Jeep put it up on the Fbook newsfeed a couple of days ago. Of course I had to rub it in to my buddy that just had his 4.0 die at ~160k miles.

You can make most any vehicle last forever if you keep up on the repairs. New tranny, new transfer case, engine has probably been rebuilt at least once. It's been repainted, and the insides have been touched up.

Nice looking Jeep :)

beautiful. A peice of artwork indeed.

Yup, Jeep put it up on the Fbook newsfeed a couple of days ago. Of course I had to rub it in to my buddy that just had his 4.0 die at ~160k miles.

Hmmmmm, that seems to be common. One buddies died at 185k (rod knock), another at mid 170k (vented block), and mine is getting a good amount of smoke from the valve cover breather tubes at 178k.

That is a CLEAN older XJ!

my wheeling rig has the stock motor and tranny with neither of them ever being torn into...just shy of 300,000 miles and I have wheeled the bag off it for the past 45 years....just regular oil changes and it takes care of itself.

my wheeling rig has the stock motor and tranny with neither of them ever being torn into...just shy of 300,000 miles and I have wheeled the bag off it for the past 45 years....just regular oil changes and it takes care of itself.

You have a 1965 XJ?

opps..it was supposed to be 4-5 years :D But yeah, I have a time capsule too! :D

who the hell has an atlas tcase and an arb with little or no lift? and why would you document every damn gas stop? anal much? Nice jeep though.

Jeep should be barred from using the XJ for any type of promotional purpose. They don't deserve it - they killed off the XJ & tanked the 4.0. Tell 'em to remove it off their FB whatever. They have no claims to it!

On another note: It would make a great "start" for a wheeling rig ... after he gives it up for something with airbags :D. Quick! Someone start making friends with the ol' guy ...

who the hell has an atlas tcase and an arb with little or no lift? and why would you document every damn gas stop? anal much? Nice jeep though.

I document every gas stop, routine and special maintenance and anything else. You keep track of what was done when so you have an idea when you need to do it again. I use one of those little (4"x6") ringed notebooks.

This is for the WJ before it met its death; maintenance on the left, gas on the right.
0222111005b_191090.jpg

The left column in the XJ book is normally filled each page as I change and fix things. Though I have thought about abandoning the book for it because it is turning into more of a trail rig all the time.

I get the maintenance logs, but gas? why do you give a crap what you paid for gas in 1996, it's just depressing!

Not what I paid, it's what I got for mileage. Steadily declining MPG can indicate something like 02 sensors, etc. Gives you something to do while it's pumping. Just might as well log it all if I'm going through that much trouble anyway. It's a little tricky on the XJ due to the variance of use that it sees. On a stricter road going vehicle is more beneficial, out of habit for the XJ.

Back