• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jacksonville FL

831_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am headed to the Jacksonville area for school later this year.
anybody live there or familiar with there?
I am curious what areas I should look at living and what areas to avoid. I might bring the jeep although that's a long haul from the coast of Ca

Not much Jeeping in J-ville. Jason lives in Ocala in the middle of the state and probably has more current info then me on J-ville. It has a few areas you want to avoid. No I don't know them currently. When is the move? I have another friend I can contact for you that lives on the coast down there. Where you going to school?

Shoot Cabz (carmine) a PM.

He knows Jax very well and his daughter and grand daughters live there now.

Ok awesome thanks guys. I'm shooting for semptember and headed to Tulsa welding school. Although I'm still looking into Lincoln ws in Ohio.

Winter sounds nicer in Florida

Ok awesome thanks guys. I'm shooting for semptember and headed to Tulsa welding school. Although I'm still looking into Lincoln ws in Ohio.

Winter sounds nicer in Florida

What is this thing "winter" you speak of? LOL We have 2 seasons...green and brown and you get either one ANY time of year.

We do get it here...maybe more in Jax than down here in Ocala but even at that...2 days of 30* weather doesn't constitute Winter for me.

It seemed everyone from the panhandle to Jax literally panicked and shut down when 1/2" of snow (if you call it that) fell!

Not much Jeeping in J-ville. Jason lives in Ocala in the middle of the state and probably has more current info then me on J-ville. It has a few areas you want to avoid. No I don't know them currently. When is the move? I have another friend I can contact for you that lives on the coast down there. Where you going to school?

I live in Jacksonville West Side for 4 years. I still do not know too much about the city. I stay on my side of town,...mostly. Like Ghost said, there is not much wheeling here. Ocala have a small area of rocks but they cater more to motor cycles. Then there is the Ocala national forest. Again not much rocks. I also Wheeled as the Osceola state forest. All mud and water. Daytona beach is driving on the beach,...for those who want to show their vehicle.

The Tulsa welding school is on the South Side or North East of where I live,... 20 to 30 minutes if traffic is flowing. I do not know too much about the area but I could ask some co-workers for info.

FYI,...Jacksonville FL is said to be the biggest city in the US based on square miles not population. Public transportation is not very good. Classes outside the normal business hours requires your own transportation.

I live in Jacksonville West Side for 4 years. I still do not know too much about the city. I stay on my side of town,...mostly. Like Ghost said, there is not much wheeling here. Ocala have a small area of rocks but they cater more to motor cycles. Then there is the Ocala national forest. Again not much rocks. I also Wheeled as the Osceola state forest. All mud and water. Daytona beach is driving on the beach,...for those who want to show their vehicle.

The Tulsa welding school is on the South Side or North East of where I live,... 20 to 30 minutes if traffic is flowing. I do not know too much about the area but I could ask some co-workers for info.

FYI,...Jacksonville FL is said to be the biggest city in the US based on square miles not population. Public transportation is not very good. Classes outside the normal business hours requires your own transportation.

It is the biggest city land wise because they incorporated the whole county. The closest decent wheeling is GA, SC, and NC. All the north side of the states. Anyone that wants to meet up at URE I'm only a couple hours away.

I just moved from Jax after ten years so I know the area pretty well. Tulsa is in the Southside area so you don't want to live on the west side and have to cross the river every day with traffic.

If you are buying look more towards the east in the intercoastal west area. if you are renting look in the southside area.

I will echo what everyone else has said not much wheeling to be had there. You can drive on the beach in St Augustine so there is that. but Georgia and NC are the closest to any good trails.

All great info.. that's why this forum is awesome. My xj will stay at home then. I'll be out there for about 7-8 months. I might just fly out and find a nice xj to drive and tinker with in the meantime. I'm a workaholic so I need projects.

I live at the beach here in nor/cen cal. Would be nice to hit the beach often. I've never been more east than Nevada so this is quite the adventure for me.

Oh, if you've never been past Nevada, you are in for a real treat. It's called Humidity.

Oh, if you've never been past Nevada, you are in for a real treat. It's called Humidity.

THIS. I can't go into my garage without my glasses fogging up for a few minutes...much less step outside all the way.

It's sad when you can SOAK 3 sets of clothes before lunch...including socks and shoes.

I have survived it 5 years in Memphis TN, 3 years in Miami and 4 years Jacksonville. It is always at its worst just after one of those early afternoon summer showers. If you are here in the summer you will learn to 'roll with it'.
I do enjoy the beach as often as I can which includes beaches in South Georgia and South to Daytona. You will have fun here,...Come on over to the Right Coast.

So far I don't think the humidity is all too bad..
Was 90 on the first day we got here. Which was last sunday 11/2.

Renting a house in University park. Nice area 3 bed 2 ba 2 car garage fenced yard..
Bought this 91 manche. 4.0 HO AX15 bench seat tool box 177k for $1k.

Let me know if anybody is in the Jville area! I know some of you are I'd be down to snag a beer and bullshit.

Back