• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've searched! No heat, Overheating

Well I got it in! :) It leaked at first when I started it so I took the t-stat housing off smeared RTV all over the housing gasket and block, fired it up ran for like an hour or so,never went over normal spot on my gauge, Wahooo.
Thanks everyone, now I just got to go top off the antifreeze and I'm set.
For today anyway.:)

Alright thanks for all the replies and help. :)

I'm not overheating anymore but it is still leaking antifreze, not much but I have to top it off every 2-3 days and I'm constantly checking it to be safe. It is leaking from the passenger side, it is getting pretty annoying, I got underneath and really couldnt see much. I'm assuming that the rad. crapped the bed but I do not like too assume w/out asking.

If I do replace, yes I've searched but as soon as I have my mind made up 1 way I read different post recommending the other, 2 or 3 core I am just going to order of,

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?...HEROKEE&submodel=XJ&engine_size=L6,4.0L,242ci
The prices seem reasonable.
What is your opinions?

I do believe that the drain plug is on the passanger side of the radiator, they may have not closed that or broke it. Look for a black plastic looking winged stud sticking out of the radiator somewhere on that side. I'm unsure if the jeep stock radiator has one, and I'm not by my haynes manual right now to look it up.

I had my thermostat housing leak for days before i figured it was leaking from there.
The thermostat housing needs RTV in addition to the gasket esepcially if the mating surface isnt perfect. I would also replace all the stock hose clamps to the screw in type and verify the rad to recovery bottle hose isnt leaking, if its loose put a clamp on it.

pete

Well I just had the upper, lower hoses, thermostat and water pump all replaced. Then the bran new T-stat crapped the bed on me, so I replaced that and I know thats not leaking. It cools fine and heats up good but it leaks coolant on the passenger side.

It mainly leaks when the coolant bottle is full. It will leak from the full line to the add line in the first 2 days or so, but then it stays at the add line for what seems like forever.

Im getting sick and tired of constanly checking on it, and am ready to just bite the bullet and put a new rad. in. What do you guys and gals recommend for a rad.? I searched and searched and as soon as I get my mind up 1 way I read a diff. post and Im easily swayed.

I suspect a blown head gasket. I'd bet bottom dollar on it. classic symptoms: no heat and overheats, blowing coolant out the reservoir in an abnormally short test drive... yep!

Did you overheat it before you first had the water pump and stuff done? that would explain the time allotment from first repair to second failure

or--- the loose cap blew.. you didn't stop in time and blew the gasket by the time you got back home

I put a Trans-Pro 3 row (which might be a rebadged GDI, I think) this past summer as an early repair at 88k while doing other maintenence (belt, hoses, T-Stat, coolant, etc all sourced from a Jeep Dealership) and have pretty happy with it's performance so far. I dropped about 20* in heavy traffic over as purchased (at 53k) during evening rush hour during the dry summer we had. The only problem was it takes a bit of a mickey mouse-ing to bold it back up close to stock and be extremely carefull with the shroud for the engine driven fan, they seem pretty fragile. Dad and I also installed a Prestone flush kit T in the line on the opposite side of the T-Stat from the radiator to try and reduce the chances of getting air pockets in the coolant. You may even want to run some of that Prestone neglected cooling system flusher through the truck before replacing the radiator before you get too far into anymore work.

Digger87xj said:
I suspect a blown head gasket. I'd bet bottom dollar on it. classic symptoms: no heat and overheats, blowing coolant out the reservoir in an abnormally short test drive... yep!

Did you overheat it before you first had the water pump and stuff done? that would explain the time allotment from first repair to second failure

or--- the loose cap blew.. you didn't stop in time and blew the gasket by the time you got back home

I don't think thats the case. I have good heat, and I'm not blowing coolant out the reservoir in an abnormally short test drive. It is actually leaking from some where from the front passenger side of the radiator, I just could'nt see where from w/all the stuff in the way.

Ohh yea my oil is fresh and clean no signs of milkyness or nothing like that. So is the antifreze.

I dont believe I have the 0331 head either. It is a non ABS 99.

Im gonna get a rad. from http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?...HEROKEE&submodel=XJ&engine_size=L6,4.0L,242ci

What do ya think 2 or 3 row?

If your pressure cap isnt doing its job properly it will overfill the recovery bottle and cause it to overfill and leak. I recommend you get a dealer one.

pete

I think this fits on this topic:

It was a Saturday afternoon, about a month ago just after an oil change at a quick stop place (that naturally says all levels are good) my check gauges light lit up, and the temp gauge was up JUST to the red, so I pulled over and stopped. After shutting the engine down and starting it back up the gauge was back to normal operating temp. It did it again before I got home, so I figure there is some sort of t-stat problem giving a false reading, if that was possible, and would bring it in on Monday. My dumb ass decided not to check the coolant level at this time because the oil change place "should" have. Call me stupid. Sunday, it did it again and it shuttered a little at a stop sign, so I drove enough to get out of the way and by that time the temp gauge pretty much pegged out, so I pulled over and had steam coming from the radiator. It was hauled, and the Jeep dealer said I had a leaky radiator, so it got replaced.

This past Saturday over lunch it did the same thing, so I pull over and stopped to see if the radiator was excessively hot, and noticed the coolant reservoir was low. I filled it up, and by the end of the day on my way home, the light came on again. I filled the reservoir up again, and by the time I got home, it was down to the add line again. I saw no antifreeze on my driveway, but then again it was raining so it could have been washed away. I filled it up this morning and drove it to work, and then topped it off again at lunch and drove it to the shop. They "put pressure on it" and didn't find any leaks.

Head gasket? Any other possiblities? Where would/could it be going if I don't see any on the ground? I don't see any returning to the reservoir (does it normally come back through the top line on the reservoir?) and it isn't up to the radiator cap when it is cold...

Sorry about the ignorance, but I like my jeep and want it to be fixed. Thanks!

Well the fact they changed the radiator means we can assume the radiator is in good standing as well as the coolant levels/mix. This leaves only a few other things left in the cooling system as suspect before you u look into other deeper things.

Fan CLutch
The fan clutch is a thermal based fan that turns based on your temps. Depending onhow hot or how cool the area is the clutch lets the fan freewheel or spin with the drivebelt, if its in bad condition the fan will want to freewheel mainly and not cool very much.

electric Fan
In addiition you have an eelctric fan whihc should be coming on in these conditions you speak of. When the temp reaches a specified temp usually 225F the computer switches the efan on, make sure its operational.

Thermostat
I am not sure if i read or not about the thermostat being replaced or not, but whenever the jeeps temps rises above 240F+ think of the thermostat being dead or stuck. So if thats the case replace it with a quality 195F thermostat with air hole.

Water Pump
If your water pump is failing one of two things or all three can happen. One is that the waterpump will leak from its dribble hole on the bottom and or make metal noises. The second things is that at speeds over 30+ you engine overheats becuase of the lack of water circulation . If you suspect any of those change it with a new replacement.

Coolant Pressure CAP
The pressure cap plays a large role and is important to your jeep cooling system. Not only is it a cap but it makes sure to keep the system at a proper pressure. I thikn they are rated at 16psi anything ab ove that due to hot coolant it allows the water to escape to the extra reservoir back and forth. If you are leaking large amounts and cant seem to find any other culprit i would suspect the pressure cap allowing tio much water to goto the reservoir and causing it to flood.

Here is a synopsis , trust me i dealt with this cooling crap for a long time on my xj.

let me know
pete

Back