• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's working! my trickle panel.

Does the cigarette lighter only work when the ignition key is on?
I don't even know if mine works or not either way (haven't tried it).
If it is only works when the key is on... the HF type solar charger would be useless (unless you make it (the cl) hot all the time)....wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Not sure about earlier models, but on 97+ the left outlet is the "cigarette lighter" and is ignition switched while the right "power outlet" is always hot.

Yeah. There is a relay in the circuit to the cig lighter, so it must be only key on. But the accessory plug must be hot all the time. And I got a sales brochure from Harbor Freight where that solar panel is $12.99. And no, I don't work for them.

Hey Wim,
Great job with the panel. Just curious, does your XJ by chance have the "executive package"? I saw one a while back from Europe that was all blacked out and woodgrain on the inside like yours, I believe it had a special Europe-only "Executive Package". Report back when you get a minute.
Thanks,
Collin

Hallo , Sorry for the delay (computer problems LOL it's a DELL).
My Jeep has been exported to Germany. It is a Performance. It's the most luxury model I know. BBS rims and steering wheel. Leather and wood inside.
Tow package etc. :wave:

OK, is this charger working well for you? I am tempted to get one, but so many people say they are a waste because they never put out the amps that are rated even in direct sunlight, so I was just wondering if you notice any positive difference since you've installed it.

OK, is this charger working well for you? I am tempted to get one, but so many people say they are a waste because they never put out the amps that are rated even in direct sunlight, so I was just wondering if you notice any positive difference since you've installed it.

Uh Yes and No. The weather is the last 2 weeks very cloudy and dark.
I park my Jeep in front of the sun. I cannot see the sun, so I need a compass.
The amps are now very low.:bawl:

hey the interiorof my jeep has the same wood panels, like in your picture, it is a 94 xj classic, canadian model(quebec)

Many pannels manyfacturers rate their panel output for about 90* direct sunlight. Output is reduced when there is less sunlight. Most batteries require a minium of 1 AMP at 13 volts to maintain them at full charge. I agree with 88XJ. Solar chargers in a vehicle is a waste of time. Many people select a pannel based on the size suggested by the sales rep of the pannel not the requirements of the batteries to be charged.

It is common to see pannels of 150 to 350 MA (Milli-Amp) recommended as vehicle battery maintainer. These put out between .15 and .35 amp at say 12.5 volts at high sun. I see this pannel as a total waste of time and money for all but the hotest days in a tropical and arrid climate.

The pannel I am looking at is rated 1500MA or 22.5 Watts at 15 volts. That should produce about 1.8 to 2 Amps at the 13.5 volts required to maintain the battery. That may require a $30.00 charge cotroller but;... that will be and I hope peace of mind.

Then the physical size of the pannel become an issue. All generators whether it be solar or wind generator or notoriously inefficient, ie... the need to be large in order to have the desired output.

On an uninhabited island (about 25 acres) in the Virgin Island, I installed a Cellular repeater powered 100% by solar. A configuration of 12 volt pannels tied together in series and paralell produced 24 volts (I do not remember the Amps) with enough batteries to hold over the equipment for 3 days with no sunlight. It all amounted to about 50 square feet of pannels + the batteries and charge controller. The performanance was better than anyone expected. It was expensive to set up but very reliable.

If I continue to leave the XJ unattended to months at a time I will definately get a solar charge but it has to be 1.5 Amps or more. Any thing less is a waste of money

Hallo Techno 1134.
You are right. The output of my little trickle panel at this moment is zero.
I took some measurements on the middle of the day. It is at this moment very misty and cloudy in Holland. At least 1500 mA is needed. So I am looking also for a bigger panel for roofmounting in the future.
Well. It was a tryout. Looks nice and it is cheap and first of all , it looks very interesting. LOL. thanks, I let you know. Merry Christmas. :laugh:

p.s. There is on it a nice blue led and many space for installing my gps. (on the glass panel).

The pannel I am looking at is rated 1500MA or 22.5 Watts at 15 volts. That should produce about 1.8 to 2 Amps at the 13.5 volts required to maintain the battery. That may require a $30.00 charge cotroller but;... that will be and I hope peace of mind.

Is that panel small enough to fit on the dash? Would it take up an entire windshield? LOL

not practical to mount a 1.5 amp panel on top of the dash, based on size (~12x36in, as I recall, but easy to search sites selling panels for accurate size info:eyes:).
Also, I doubt you'd get anywhere near 1.5 amps due to the inability of the sun's rays to properly access the panel.
The best place would be to mount the panel on the roof, and park the vehicle in the direct sun--never in the shade of anything.

not practical to mount a 1.5 amp panel on top of the dash, based on size (~12x36in, as I recall, but easy to search sites selling panels for accurate size info:eyes:).
Also, I doubt you'd get anywhere near 1.5 amps due to the inability of the sun's rays to properly access the panel.
The best place would be to mount the panel on the roof, and park the vehicle in the direct sun--never in the shade of anything.

Correct answer on all counts.

Then to be effective, I am thinking a plexi sunroof that is sealed with the panel mounted under the plexi but above the headliner. (which I would leave intact because I don't want it to be a true sunroof) Then the only real question is, would that be a sound investment?

I personally don't think the time, effort (Modifying the roof), and cost is worth the trouble to permanently install a low wattage photovoltaic panel in your Jeep; especially in NJ, where the sun seems to be retarded in the winter.
If you're going to leave your Jeep setting for a month or more, I'd just remove the battery.
If you're concerned about a dead battery while out camping, I'd consider a dual battery set-up, with an isolation switch on the spare.
If your battery constantly discharges to the point of not being able to start your Jeep, lets say over a 2 week period, I'd suggest something is amiss with the electrical system ("key-off" drain too high, charging system, or battery fault).

It would not be because of any malfunction or battery drain, It is just such a cool idea to have a battery tender that uses free energy to maintain your battery level. Too bad that cost and effort make it so impractical. It would probably do a good job if implemented properly, and there were no drainage issues as mentioned. If not for the fact that it is such a drastic mod, and if I could ensure that it was not going to adversely affect my properly working charging system, I would probably do it since I do park in direct sunlight all day.

Hallo Jeepers. I had my Jeep all day in the sun and the voltage of my little panel was only 5 Volts.and 48 mA current to my battery. Do you think, that's enough for the maintenance? I think it compensating the normal little drains.
And is 5 Volt high enough for loading? A normal load with the altenator is 14 Volts. :rattle:
Is any Voltage a loading Voltage?

p.s. I can make a support to change the angle of the panel to the sun .

Last edited:
I would say at least 14 volts would be needed to maintain the battery.

xjbubba have some sound comments. The size required, the cost and the capacity/capability seem to indicate it is the best investment one could make. In fact, it is because of this that I have not done more than rool it over in my head for three years now. The technology have not yet allowed solar chargers to very cost effictive when compeared to a fossile fuel charger/generator.

If I go that route in the near future, the size of the pannel needed dictates that it be roof mounted, then getting the wires inside or to the battery will be the other challenge. Now that everyone is so focused on staying green, I hope someone build a more cost effective higher output pannel.

Hallo Jeepers. I had my Jeep all day in the sun and the voltage of my little panel was only 5 Volts.and 48 mA current to my battery. Do you think, that's enough for the maintenance? I think it compensating the normal little drains.
And is 5 Volt high enough for loading? A normal load with the altenator is 14 Volts. :rattle:
Is any Voltage a loading Voltage?

p.s. I can make a support to change the angle of the panel to the sun .

Wim, 5v is not enough to charge the battery. You need more than the battery voltage for charging to occur, usually about 12.5v. You can connect 2 or 3 panels in series to up the voltage, but it must be more than the battery voltage to charge.

FYI, I did some testing a while back, and the 'normal' drain on an XJ is about 12-14 mA. About half is through the TCM, and about half through the ECM (including radio memory and KAM).....

Back