• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's 5.3/AW4 swap time for the road racer

Ha, my buddy just won that race and got the lap record. Car sounds good, sucks to hear about the oil issues.

I had to LOL at the short shift thing, between all the 4.0l Jeeps we've had and the two 80's Turbo Mopars I had, I about crapped my self when I saw the tach on my 200 hit 6500 the first time last summer:laugh3:

I had seen that video -- pretty sweet! It looks like there is some real good speed to be had there, even though on that opening lap it looked like you were just scratching the surface of the potential. There are sooooo many slow cars wandering around on the track, it looks terribly difficult to put in any good laps until they thin out some.

At any rate, other than the engine problems, what is your overall impression of the 5.3 install? Do the tranny and chassis feel happy with the torque from the new motor??

I had seen that video -- pretty sweet! It looks like there is some real good speed to be had there, even though on that opening lap it looked like you were just scratching the surface of the potential. There are sooooo many slow cars wandering around on the track, it looks terribly difficult to put in any good laps until they thin out some.

At any rate, other than the engine problems, what is your overall impression of the 5.3 install? Do the tranny and chassis feel happy with the torque from the new motor??
At first I was a little bummed about the seat of the pants feel of the new motor. It didn't blow my mind with power. But then I watched some in-car from last year at the same track and realized just how much faster the new motor is. This is also a very good thing: It doesn't feel radically different or hard to drive, something I was worried about.

I did notice snappier and more positive shifts from the AW4 thanks to Child9's valve body, and the trans temps stayed nice and cool.

-Matt

LMNS1093_zps7dbe8bdb.jpg

drift_zpsaa0a3340.jpg

Is this an oiling under G's problem? The Y-cars have a "bat-wing" oil pan that is supposed to help with sustained G's for quite a while - decent enough for HDPE without going to a dry sump.

Of course, whether it will fit is another issue.

Blocked oil gallery in the block? You ran a second engine with same results though...

Somewhat off topic question alert!:

After reading your blog about the foray into 5.3ness, I ventured over to the entry on making the 4.0 live for road racing and noticed a comment about adding 2 degrees of negative camber (to the spindles???). Sorry if I'm not quoting that quite perfectly, but anyway I was wondering if you might share how you did that?

Somewhat off topic question alert!:

After reading your blog about the foray into 5.3ness, I ventured over to the entry on making the 4.0 live for road racing and noticed a comment about adding 2 degrees of negative camber (to the spindles???). Sorry if I'm not quoting that quite perfectly, but anyway I was wondering if you might share how you did that?
Just offset ball joints, negative two degrees per side:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/spc-performance-offset-ball-joints

Massive improvement in handling and steering.

Is this an oiling under G's problem? The Y-cars have a "bat-wing" oil pan that is supposed to help with sustained G's for quite a while - decent enough for HDPE without going to a dry sump.

Of course, whether it will fit is another issue.

Blocked oil gallery in the block? You ran a second engine with same results though...
Totally unrelated to g-loading, the F-body oil pan and the Accusump totally solve that issue.

We never replaced the engine, so we suspect that there's something like a blocked oil passage. We'll know for sure once we pull it all the way apart.

What is a "Y-car?"

Back