• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It Lives!

jagger

NAXJA Forum User
Spent all day today finishing my tranny swap (AW4 to AX15) and after a month of reading and working I was able to drive it back to my house from the garage I was working on it in. This was my first major project and It feels awesome. I've been driving an '88 Honda Accord instead of the XJ and I cant begin to describe how much better I feel back in the Jeep.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me like Bryan C and Kejtar and everyone else who posted anything about this swap in other threads.

See you all on the trail!

:cheers:

jagger said:
Spent all day today finishing my tranny swap (AW4 to AX15) and after a month of reading and working I was able to drive it back to my house from the garage I was working on it in. This was my first major project and It feels awesome. I've been driving an '88 Honda Accord instead of the XJ and I cant begin to describe how much better I feel back in the Jeep.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me like Bryan C and Kejtar and everyone else who posted anything about this swap in other threads.

See you all on the trail!

:cheers:

I love it when a plan comes together. Just finnished a project of my own.

SeanP said:
what year and what did you do about the TCU and ECU and wirign?

SeanP

trannyswap0070mv.jpg

I took the NSS and ground and soldered them together to allow the engine to crank.

trannyswap0022pp.jpg

Then I took a plug that would work for the reverse/backup switch on the AX15 and soldered the power and backup lights from the Automatic to them.

trannyswap0087xj.jpg

So Aaron, how is it running? Any problems? What's next on the upgrade agenda?

I was happy to help out where I could(which wans't all that much).

Bryan C. said:
So Aaron, how is it running? Any problems? What's next on the upgrade agenda?

I was happy to help out where I could(which wans't all that much).

Well it lasted for one night.
On the way home from work, around 2 AM, I was driving home and my clutch went out. It ended up being the slave/throw out bearing that went south.

Later on today im swapping to the external slave from the '94 and up AX15.

I'll take some photos and post it up tomorrow night.

Bryan C. said:
That sucks, out comes the trans once again. :rattle:

At least you should be getting good at it by now. :gag:

Third times the charm. I swapped the bellhousing and got everything back together and its back on the road. It only took 5 hours this time, haha. All I need now is the transfer case linkage

Back