• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this piston damaged?

xXJx said:
how can i tell what size pistons i have? is there a number on the engine somewhere?
Yes, there should be a build code on the side of the block, adjacent to the distributor. The 6-digit code is a date. Look on the oil filter boss. Just behind the distributor there should be a plug with a recessed, square drive head. If there are component size codes, they will be stamped on the block just above that plug.

P = Rod journals 0.010 under
M = Main bearing journals 0.010 under
PM = Mains and rods 0.010 under
B = cylinder bores 0.010 over
C = cam bearings 0.010 under

well i didnt find any letters stamped on the side of the block so im going to assume its all standard. also got started on stuff.

valve job and head check: $50
piston: $20
piston ring set:$25 (man i only needed a couple not the whole set!)
push rod set: $18
junkyard rocker arms: freebie!
knowledge gained from all this: priceless
ticket i talked my way out of on the way home from the parts store for racing and destroying some honda in my camaro (95' 454 +many mods): even more priceless! luckily that cop was a chevy guy and hates imports

got the head back on the jeep. turned the key and the motor turned and turned and turned, so i checked stuff and didnt see anything out of the ordinary went back and turned the key, motor tunred and truned, then bam! fired right up! now it starts almost instantly!

one problem, it dont turn off! i have to pull the coil. i think it might have something to do with that egr tube i bent and couldnt get to fit right. ill pick another one up from pick a part tomorrow.

Back