• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this normal?

the extra 2 go thru the pinch seam by the bumper right? i wouldnt stress those 2 for a recovery point. i made a spare tire swing away and mounted it to my hitch =) it looks pretty nice

It's two holes in the middle of the nutsert IIRC, the third nut in the middle of each nutsert. The factory hitch I have only has 4 holes per side: the first holes go through the pinch seam, the next two are about an inch or so from the first ones, then comes the two holes about 3/4 the way down and then the last two are the last ones at the back of the hitch.

well all your weight is going to be on those front bolts not so much the back, or at least thats what i think. the hitch is soft enough you could always just drill a hole for the 5th bolt hole, bolt the nut strip to the hitch, draw out the hole, mark center with a punch and drill a hole a lil bigger than the dia of the bolt just so you have a little bit of play to work with... thats what i'd do.

I could do that but that just adds to the already huge amount of work I have to do just to put this on, and besides it's 1/4" steel or so.

what i had to do was tie fishing line to my carriage bolts and feed the string thru each hole and tie it to the bolt and drag it thru the unibody into each hole, then put the nut on the outside... whats an extra 20 minutes drilling 2 holes... i would do it now while its off, and IIRC the exhaust bolts up to the back 2 bolts... it did with my xj

lol at least i told you before you installed it =) makes things a lil easier i dunno where bay park is but if you were close i'd drive down and bring some pb blaster =D

I have PB Blaster, that's the one thing this Jeep gets soaked in. If I could I would buy a tub full of it and just let the Jeep bathe in it for about a week. Bay Park is in San Diego, aka not close to you.

another scary coinsidence... my xj moved from michigan to san diego, and got sold at an auction to a dealer down here... no wonder our jeeps are so similar, they are prolly related somehow too lol i think i still have the car fax report stating when it moved etc lol
IMG_0190.jpg

Last edited:
Haha yeah. I bought my Jeep from a dealer about 4 or 5 years ago when I lived in Michigan. This one had been taken care of pretty good and I got a bit of good parts.

does yours have the power window problem where only the driver side control switches works? mine i have to control the rear's and passenger door windows by my side cuz the other switches doesnt work

The passenger window is the only one that doesn't work, but even then it's just finicky. I took care of the Jeep when I was there, a lot of my friends had rusting problems with theirs.

I don't think this ZJ skid will work without a ton of modification. I keep drilling more and more holes in it and it magically still doesn't line up. Must be just my luck that I pick an old XJ hitch and a ZJ skid plate expecting it to work because people say it will work with "minor modification".

I ditched the ZJ skid plate and just put the hitch on. I'm awesome and drilled out one of the holes in the hitch a little too far off, so I have 9 bolts going in instead of 10, big deal. I'm either going to wait until someone has a cheap skid plate or sell/trade this ZJ skid plate for what I need. Out of all the skid plates I have, none of them work.

Back