• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the front Driveshaft really strong enough for the rear

ive been running a front shaft in the rear now for a year, im running a welded rear end and 5.13 gears with 37" mtrs. I have beat the piss out of my jeep and Twisted the splines on my rear dana 44 shafts. But the little front shaft Im using is holding up GREAT in the rear. I pulled the shaft out of a junk yard and didnt even change the U-Joints. They are beefy little things. Im also running 6" lift and its fine.

Same here, stock front shaft on the rear, no issues. Locked on 35's. I carry a spare and all 3 of my shafts have new Spicer center balls and U-joints. I'm considering lengthening all 3 by about an inch and going heavy wall on the tubing.

One more benefit you only need to carry one spare.

Even if you get a rear shaft made, you can get away with only carrying one spare if they're the same length

i don't think the shaft would ever break under normal street driving conditions, even towing, like the OP questioned... however, both my front and rear driveshafts have developed some lateral play in the slip. the front shaft is the original so it's no surprise it's wearing out. the rear that i'm using is a v8 zj front shaft. i carry a spare for the rear cuz man... that splined section is tiny in that DS. i want a pair of nice driveshafts but don't have the coin right now. until then i'll continue to wear out stock DS's.

Cal, I agree the Tom Woods DS is definitely beefier but for someone who doesn't want to drop $550 on 2 driveshafts he'll be fine. I mean, I have never had a problem nor has anyone I wheel with and we're not "light" wheelers. I do plan on upgrading to TW DS's but that's a little further down the list. Now, I do carry a spare which I definitely recommend doing!!!

Cal, I agree the Tom Woods DS is definitely beefier but for someone who doesn't want to drop $550 on 2 driveshafts he'll be fine. I mean, I have never had a problem nor has anyone I wheel with and we're not "light" wheelers. I do plan on upgrading to TW DS's but that's a little further down the list. Now, I do carry a spare which I definitely recommend doing!!!

I didn't say he wouldnt be fine, I said he wouldnt be fine wheeling where I wheel. (well, actually, MattyJ said that, but we wheel together..).

I haven't seen a front driveshaft pretzel in the rear in oh.. what, 4 months?

I'm hear to share both my opinions and my experiance, I do try and make sure people understand which is which. In this case, I opted to provide a good side by side comparison and let each person who reads this make their own decision.

I didn't say he wouldnt be fine, I said he wouldnt be fine wheeling where I wheel. (well, actually, MattyJ said that, but we wheel together..).

I haven't seen a front driveshaft pretzel in the rear in oh.. what, 4 months?

I'm hear to share both my opinions and my experiance, I do try and make sure people understand which is which. In this case, I opted to provide a good side by side comparison and let each person who reads this make their own decision.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. This answer is going to depend on terrain, driving style, and other factors on the rig so my opinion to the OP and anyone else with this question is wheel it, carry a spare, and find out for yourself! Like you said, he may not make it where you wheel but he could be fine where he wheels. My experience has not yet left me with a twisted front in the rear (saying that makes me feel weird :shhh:) but I'm sure you ride more rocks more frequently than I do being where you are.

This question is almost no different than the "should I upgrade to 29 spline shafts in my C8.25" question....just another wheel it and find out!

:cheers:

From what i'm hearing it sounds like this might work I, I wostly wheel in the pines of NJ and in the bogs, I don't do much if any rockcrawling. but i plan to run a selectable locker in the rear at some point.

From what i'm hearing it sounds like this might work I, I wostly wheel in the pines of NJ and in the bogs, I don't do much if any rockcrawling. but i plan to run a selectable locker in the rear at some point.

it will be fine, as i stated i have a welded rear. I also towed a 5K trailer from tampa to Utah. IT did fine up and down mountains.

BUT i did seize up a the cardan joint while in dallas. so i went through 1 front shaft in the rear of my jeep. but that is besides the point...

Back