• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is name brand worth it?

bigalpha

Is buying name-brand parts always worth the extra cost?

What's the difference between the 'economy', 'standard replacement', and 'premium' sections on RockAuto.

It really depends on the part, but in my experience every time I've tried the non-name brand item it has been a mistake.

IMO it is mostly guesswork anyway. I tend to trust my parts place, they know what gets the most returns or complaints and generally stock satisfactory stuff. They have a decent return policy.

OEM isn't much of a guarantee anymore. I've had some (actually a lot) of their stuff fail way quicker than the original build parts. Headlight switches as an example.

I've even gotten Spicer knockoffs. I really should have known, it just didn't look right. The U-joints and the packaging, both were a little off.

I've actually had pretty good luck with stuff made in Taiwan. My guess is they often make a better product just to compete with China. Their stuff sometimes looks clunky and a little odd but seems to last.

I buy a lot of stuff just because the supplier has a good return policy. Crown doesn't have the best name, but they do have most everything. Quadratec has mostly Crown parts with a, on again off again, crappy return policy. I buy the same stuff (Crown) from a supplier (at a slightly higher price) with a better return policy.

I've had name brand parts fail way quicker than they should have, while paying a premium price. Which kind of chaps my rear some. Modine radiators for one, either OEM or from a parts house. I can take an original build radiator and an OEM replacement and feel the weight difference. They may look identical but the OEM replacement has less copper in it (pinching penny's). Or they redesign it, use aluminum and you think because of the name brand it is a quality part, which may or may not be the outcome.

I'm a fan of junkyard parts, not because of the price saving. I enjoy the hunt and usually find some good original build parts that are generally better quality than what I sometimes get OEM at the Jeep dealers parts counter.

A lot of times simply inspecting the parts helps. You can sometimes spot junk no matter who makes it.

Many times a company starts out making good stuff, then the bean counters get involved and they start cutting corners, using inferior materials or whatever and eventually people catch on and stop buying it. It's that period between buying the "brand" that used to be good and catching on that the quality has fallen way off that makes them money. Kind of like buying the giant burger for two dollars, then they slowly cut back on the size, gradually so you won't notice and then offer a super giant burger the same size as the original giant burger for three dollars. The original giant burger may have lost them money, they eventually make it back and more. Then they do it all over again. Mostly opinion, but I'm likely pretty close to the facts. They play the consumer like a fish.

Like I said IMO it is mostly luck and guesswork. IMO it is hard to find a name brand that is consistently (for years or decades) most always good stuff.

It really depends on the part, but in my experience every time I've tried the non-name brand item it has been a mistake.

i agree with the first part 100%, not so much the second. if i needed ball joints or whatever for my built wheeling rig, yes, i would get the HD/super duty/xxextremexx section ones. if they were for a cheap DD honda or something, i would have no problem with getting the cheapest part possible.

I admit I'm brand loyal... I prefer Moog/Wagner and other well known brands... I tend to stay away from Dorman on things that matter. You get what you pay for has always proved to be true for me.

I agree that name brands totally matter, and that premium product tiers within those brands also matter.

If 'AUTO EXTRA' had a history of building high quality inexpensive balljoints for an XJ, they would be a name brand, and probably not be $7 each on Rock Auto.

There's a ton of variables out there, between product name, application, certain vehicles, etc. Example, Moog are usually good parts and all, but many Cummins guys have problems with the ball joint stud/socket flat spotting and causing DW and such. Axle parts I only use Spicer stuff, fuel pumps I avoid Airtex like the plague. Bearings/seals I use Timken, but will also use National or SKF. My last DD XJ I used all Crown stuff (I lived right near them), a lot of their stuff is new not reman and comes from the same supplier as the dealerships.

I tend to be brand loyal because I've stuck with certain brands without issues so I figure why change and I apply that logic to a lot of things. I will always rather pay more up front rather than redoing it later even if the warranty replaces it for free, my time is worth more to me and the initial up front investment always wins out. I also try to go with new not reman whenever possible / feasible, somethings it just seems to not matter to go reman.

Of course like others have said, you still get a bad part once in a while or a certain brand is seemingly notorious for having a certain line of bad parts to avoid.

I made the mistake of using Dorman loaded UCA's on my Accord........RockAuto had to exercise their warranty 9 months later because the bushings started to squeak and they were driving me nuts.

The savings wasn't worth my labor to do the job twice in a year.

I admit I'm brand loyal... I prefer Moog/Wagner and other well known brands... I tend to stay away from Dorman on things that matter. You get what you pay for has always proved to be true for me.

Last Moog ball joints I put in my jeep didn't last 5000 miles.

Brand name isn't always everything.

I figured that name brand was usually better but it's nice to know that's actually the case since I'm going to be pulling maintenance on my whole front end.

Back