• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth Limited Slip the the front?

i have a 242 t-case so a locker wasnt a option for the front axel. i put a eaton LS into my front and havent had any issues. i guess it depends on how hard you wheel if its worth it.

i guess it depends on how hard you wheel if its worth it.

x2. After watching a Detroit Truetrac fail over and over, on easy desert hill-climbs, a real locking differential is a better choice, imo.
Even using the brakes to help modulate wheel spin did nothing except kill the momentum and still fail the climb.

x2. After watching a Detroit Truetrac fail over and over, on easy desert hill-climbs, a real locking differential is a better choice, imo.
Even using the brakes to help modulate wheel spin did nothing except kill the momentum and still fail the climb.

Easy desert hill climbs should be...ummm...easy, even with open differentials. Any chance what you observed was an inexperienced driver or a bad Detroit TT, or was the TT being specifically tested?

Just like it says. Its it worth putting limited slip in a front axle at all?

No it is not worth it. You will have to buy a LSD, then pay for a completely new gear setup. Best case - you only pay $700 for the parts and install but its probably close to $1000.

If anything, take the money and do a Detroit locker in the rear. It will cost you a little more but the performance difference will be huge. I'd rather do a lunchbox locker in the front than a limited slip.

The problem with the LSD is that you are paying the same amount that you would for a full locker because you need to pay for the LSD and pay for the gears to be re-setup. If you are going to pay the money, why get 1/2 the performance increase?

Easy desert hill climbs should be...ummm...easy, even with open differentials. Any chance what you observed was an inexperienced driver or a bad Detroit TT, or was the TT being specifically tested?

Easy is relative of course.. :) Lots of articulation and loose sand required heavy throttle. The TT concept is sound but we watched it slip under these conditions. He was trying to modulate the throttle to ease the wheel spin, but still couldn't get it to hook up in the most difficult spots. He's an experienced driver and member here too, but he now runs an ARB. Doing it twice is the most expensive route. :)

Well this is my DD so locking the front is not an option. And LS sounds inafective. So I think I'll sit with open in the front, locked in the rear! Thanks for all you input!

Well this is my DD so locking the front is not an option. And LS sounds inafective. So I think I'll sit with open in the front, locked in the rear! Thanks for all you input!

You can lock the front. A front locker is not active in 2wd, only in 4wd. That said, I would still do the rear.

as mentioned, it all depends on your own circumstances, and how you use your rig. my 89 is getting a full detroit in the rear D44, and a detroit truetrac for the front D30. i am running the 242 Tcase and use the jeep as a tractor at times. just last night i had to meet the delivery truck in town because they sent a full size semi to deliver my sons swing set playground thing. my trailer is heavy and the load was heavy too, so to get everything back to the house i used full time 4x4 to distribute the drivetrain load to both axles. with a full locker i wouldnt have been able to do this. i am re-gearing anyhow so instead of buying a factory D30 carrier, i chose to find a used truetrac ($125). since the factory D30 carrier is the weak link, it only made sense to beaf it up with a full case. so if you plan to re-gear anyhow, then i would say YES the LSD is a good idea. unless of course you can use a full locker. again it all depends on how you plan to use the jeep. if nothing else, an aftermarket LSD will increase the strength of your D30. and if you can do gear set up yourself, it really isnt a costly upgrade when you consider what you gain.

Probably because he runs it on the roads in Full-Time mode. A locked front axle going around a corner on pavement isn't much fun. Shifting it in and out of 4wd all the time would be an option I suppose. It's even worse with the 242, never know where the power is going to end up....

i have a 242 t-case so a locker wasnt a option for the front axel.

Sure it is! I'm running ECTEDs front and rear with my 242, and lots of folks with 242s have used the same or other lockers. It's completely doable.

With respect to the original question, my personal preference would be to not run an LSD in the front. Those ECTEDs are LSDs when unlocked, and it's a mixed blessing: on the plus side, I've been able to get traction in 4FT from the front that might have otherwise required a shift into 4PT or even 4LO; on the minus side, they can kick in at times when you don't necessarily want them to, including in 2WD.

It's not so bad that I'm rushing to tear them out and replace them with something else, but if there had been an electrically-selectable locker on the market for the D30 that was fully-open when unlocked (the Eaton E-Locker fits that bill now) I would have gone with that up front instead.

Probably because he runs it on the roads in Full-Time mode.

As stated above, it's really not an issue most of the time - and I use 4FT on both pavement in lousy weather and the trail.

It's even worse with the 242, never know where the power is going to end up....

Not quite sure what you mean by that - the 242 apportions torque (IIRC) 48% front / 52% rear in 4FT. What it's doing is generally very predictable, dirt or pavement.

Last edited:
I have ARBs front and rear. I rarely use the front. I had it installed when I swapped gears and put it in just in case it is ever really needed. The wife and I are frequently alone on the trail and I wanted the added insurance of a front locker.

I also have a 242 transfer box. I only lock the front when in Part Time 4X4.

ARB doesnt allow you to only lock the front... If you locked only the rear and tried an obstacle, then turned around and locked only the front for that same obstacle, you would find it easier to accomplish with only the front locked.

Grab an aussie and lock the front. It will be invisible on the road in 2WD, you shouldnt drive around on pavement in 4WD anyways...

ARB doesnt allow you to only lock the front... If you locked only the rear and tried an obstacle, then turned around and locked only the front for that same obstacle, you would find it easier to accomplish with only the front locked.

Grab an aussie and lock the front. It will be invisible on the road in 2WD, you shouldnt drive around on pavement in 4WD anyways...
What is wrong with driving around in 4x4 on the pavement? Is that not what the 242 is designed for running any road conditions?

I figured it was just a simple wiring mod for the ARBs but never really messed with them too much.

As far as the 242 goes. Why would you drive around on dry or even wet pavement in 4WD? What is the need? I can see if your on a road that is dry 1 mile and snow covered the next... But even then I prefer having my front locked in in the snow, it helps pull the front end around corners when you lean on the gas.

The 242 uses some sort of clutch to seperate the front and back halves of the t case right? Excessive slip on those clutches and they will wear out prematurely. I've only owned 1 XJ with the 242 and I dont think I ever used the full time option. If Im in 4WD its cause I need to be in 4WD. Why put excessive strain on parts when you dont necessarily need the feature?

Maybe its just my driving preference on the Full Time option... Non the less, I would still lock the front first. Aussie lockers are well worth the money too.

Detroit lockers had a bad batch of TT's about 2-3 years ago. They had SEVERAL failures in the 8.8's that I know of.

I personally LOVE the torsen differentials, and worked hard to keep one in my LS1 equipped Miata.

The Tru-trac works pretty good as long as you're aware of it's limitations. It can only transfer torque if both wheels have a load on them. Completely un-load one wheel, and the TT won't work. This is where you have to start brake-modulation to get any grip. It's doable, but takes practice. The situation described: fast uphill, have to keep up momentum, tires bouncing loading/unloading, is about the worst-case for a TT.
At the other end of the scale, moving slow over rocks, you can lift a tire, apply a little brake, feel the loaded tire grab, and keep right on moving.
I have a TT in my front. "Highly recommend it for DD/light/med. wheeling. For serious rocks and mud, get something else.

As far as the 242 goes. Why would you drive around on dry or even wet pavement in 4WD? What is the need?

On dry pavement the reasons are fewer, granted, but improved traction on wet pavement doesn't hurt. It's also nice to have full-lock steering on the trail in high range.

I can see if your on a road that is dry 1 mile and snow covered the next... But even then I prefer having my front locked in in the snow, it helps pull the front end around corners when you lean on the gas.

Perhaps, but there's nothing with a 242 that would prevent you from still being able to add a locker and do that if you wanted to.

The 242 uses some sort of clutch to seperate the front and back halves of the t case right?

No, at least in the XJ. Think of them as a 231 plus a centre differential; similar to a 231, they're chain-drive.

Excessive slip on those clutches and they will wear out prematurely. I've only owned 1 XJ with the 242 and I dont think I ever used the full time option. If Im in 4WD its cause I need to be in 4WD. Why put excessive strain on parts when you dont necessarily need the feature?

It's not putting 'excessive strain' on anything to run a 242 in Full-Time 4WD (which is really an AWD mode), pavement or dirt.

Maybe its just my driving preference on the Full Time option... Non the less, I would still lock the front first.

*Shrug* your call on that one, but I can't recall a time in the snow where I've needed to lock the front with the 242 just to get through it.

Back