• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it my Alt or Battery?

Cleaned the TB and IAC and the idle is back to normal. It was dirty!! Makes me want to block off the EGR.

Thanks for all the help.

Here is my take on the emissions equipment: EPA is going to go dog nut crazy on CO2, and states without emissions testing and vehicle inspections are going to have them very soon--the feds will threaten to withhold money if the states won't adopt their rules, same way we got seat belt laws and the 55 mph speed limit. Many states have been kicking around "Pass or Crush" laws--pass emissions testing or you will get a few bucks for your vehicle and the state will crush it. Sound scary? Sound like it violates the Constitution?

Get used to it, that isn't going to stop them.

Keep it legal, if you want to keep it.

I do understand your point. I lived in California for a very long time and speak from experience when it comes to the "man" wanting to sniff your tail pipe.

Now I reside in Michigan, land of no enforced motor vehicle laws. Im sure that it wont be this way for long sense the Feds have their hand in GM but for now Im safe. At this point I have no plans to remove said equipment.

Plus if I remeber correctly EGR helps the engine warm up faster, which would be a keeper for our winters.

EGR isn't typically used during cold-start/open-loop. The design purpose of EGR is to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by lowering combustion temps, which is achieved by recirculating some of the non-combustible (inert) gasses through the combustion chamber, which in turn allows less fuel for the lesser amounts of combustible gasses. All it really does is lower emissions. Conversely the cold-start/open-loop phase typically uses more fuel to encourage more post-ignition combustion, which helps to heat up the O2 sensor, which is what the computer is really waiting for. Sometimes a thermac valve on the air intake is used to recycle heat from the exhaust pipes into the intake, but I haven't seen that on any post-86 Cherokees.

EGR isn't typically used during cold-start/open-loop. The design purpose of EGR is to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by lowering combustion temps, which is achieved by recirculating some of the non-combustible (inert) gasses through the combustion chamber, which in turn allows less fuel for the lesser amounts of combustible gasses. All it really does is lower emissions. Conversely the cold-start/open-loop phase typically uses more fuel to encourage more post-ignition combustion, which helps to heat up the O2 sensor, which is what the computer is really waiting for. Sometimes a thermac valve on the air intake is used to recycle heat from the exhaust pipes into the intake, but I haven't seen that on any post-86 Cherokees.

I had the heat stove and thermal valve arrangement on the stock air box in my 90 4.0 L.

hey joe, what is IAC on the throttle boby? not caught up on all my definitions, thanks

Idle Air Controller--a small stepper motor that extends and retracts into the throttle body, based on commands from the ECU/PCM--engine control unit/powertrain control module.

Back