• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it me ?

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I've owned 3 xjs and I have not found a comfortable position yet. In my 98 it seems as if there is less headroom and leg room. I had an 89 wrangelr as well and that thing was 100x more comfortable for long trips. is it just me ?

I think it might be you. I love the old seats in my '89, even for long trips. They are beaten up, but way the heck better than most cars I have ever sat in. It is the Ltd., BTW.

i think my jeep is one of the most comfortable road trip cars ive been in. it is a little small some times, but the seats are extremely comfortable compared with a lot of other cars.

Ya, when driving my parents expedition 2 hours to a concert, my back started hurting cause its such an awkward positioning in the seat.

I love my seats in my '99. My mom who had back problems would drive mine alot when I first got it, back when it was all stock, because it was so much more relaxing on her.

jfox21 said:
i think my jeep is one of the most comfortable road trip cars ive been in. it is a little small some times, but the seats are extremely comfortable compared with a lot of other cars.

haha this reminds me when i was a kid we drove from North Carolina, Along the south hitting mississippi, Texas, Arizona, then up to nevada, and so fourth to Alaska.

Well one day my mom was complaining that the jeep was getting smaller and smaller... and I was like I don't think so mom, maybe your just getting bigger and bigger....:eyes:

needless to say that would never be said again.

I have a '94 and '91xj. And I like the seats in the '91. It could be that they are not as broke down as the seats in the '94 (my parents owned it b4 and needless to say they are not skinny people)

cstilesiscool said:
my situation is reversed from yours..........and upside down.......and with 3.......need i go on :)

No, not here. Use the Den if you need to illustrate your "comfort." K, thanks. :)

cstilesiscool said:
my situation is reversed from yours..........and upside down.......and with 3.......need i go on :)

Reminds me of the scene from Seinfeld where Elaine sleeps opposite with the wake up call guy on his couch. Jerry asks if there was any funny business going on and Elaine explains the sleeping arrangement to him and he says, "Your genitals are still lined up." :D

God I love that show.

AkJeepKid said:
I have a '94 and '91xj. And I like the seats in the '91. It could be that they are not as broke down as the seats in the '94

x2!

I had a 1991 and now have a 1994, I liked the old 1991 seats better and I'm not the only one!

As far as Cherokee seats in general go; I think they're the best ones I've had! (And I've had more than my fair share of cars!) My favourites were the ones in my brother's old 1987 XJ; the ones with the 'swivel' feature? I loved that... I had a 1993 ZJ, and the XJ seats are better.

I wonder if you can swap the seat base from one of those to a newer seat. Probably not. I digress...

XJ seats good.

:)

Edit: Camarors - How tall are you? If you're somewhere around 6'6" I could see a reason. I'm 6'2" and so are the rest of the guys in my family, and they like the seats too. My mom is 5'3" and just loves the seats in all of my XJ's.

Last edited:
camarors8992 said:
I've owned 3 xjs and I have not found a comfortable position yet. In my 98 it seems as if there is less headroom and leg room. I had an 89 wrangelr as well and that thing was 100x more comfortable for long trips. is it just me ?

I find that my YJ is more comfortable on long, 7-17hr, trips than my XJ. In the YJ I sit upright and my legs rest in a more natural chair sitting position, the left foot is flat on the floor and the right foot rests on the gas. The XJ I'm in a slouch, the legs are splayed, and I have to push on the gas. Even when I use the cruise, the slouched, splayed leg attitude hurts the knees and I need to take more walking breaks.

Is it a big deal? Not really. I find most vehicles have poor ergonomics.

I drive this Chevy Colorado for work, and the consensus of every driver in the company is that from an ergonomic viewpoint, these are the worse vehicles they have ever driven.

Back