• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is gear noise a time bomb?

No.

No explosion is going to happen.

No, you do not need to call in the bomb squad to "disarm" it.

Infact you do not need to pay anything near what they may cost (300-$400).

OKAY, I realize I'm a little late on this thread, but lets get going:

First let me get this straight, you have a jeep, it worked fine...then you did something and it didn't. right? Okay, well obviously the problem arises from work you did to the gears.

From here, you need to figure what could have got mixed/messed up to cause this problem.

Now, from what I gather, you pulled the axles and carrier to change the axle seals. It's hard to imagine what you did wrong, but it sounds like somehow the backlash got messed up. Often gears will whine if the backlash has been set too tight (or if there is none at all). Since the gears were aftermarket (4.56's) it's possible that there were shims on the outside of each bearing race, rather than between the bearing and carrier. If this is true, then a simple mix up of these could cause the problem.

From what you say, I doubt that a race mixup is the problem...From the diff did you ONLY remove 2 races, 1 carrier, and 2 bearing caps?

Go ahead and turn the pinion by hand. Does it turn smooth? Is it tight, if you move it clockwise and counter-clockwise, is there a tiny bit of slop? Compare the front diff and rear (should be very similar).

Don't go pay some one $400. That's a HUGE waste of money, you can fix this, yeah it's a pain, but think about how much your learning, and maybe when it's all said and done you'll feel confident enough to install those rear 4.56's yourself!

Do you have full time 4x4 in you jeep? Because if not, put you front D-shaft back on and leave it on. Your not hurting anything with different gears front and rear, UNTILL you put it in 4x4.

Also, front D-shaft or none, thick gear oil or thin....these will not fix the problem.

Good luck,
Jordan

Well here it is...

I know you guys think I could have solved this myself and also that $400 is too much money to have a shop do it (I agree there) but I don't know anyone else to take it to that A) I would trust and B) wouldn't charge me $400. I'm glad I didn't mess with it anymore because it wasn't what I or anyone else here guessed...

I already had an appointment for yesterday. Believe it or not the gears were fine, good pattern. And I did nothing to cause it by removing the carrier. The problem was with the LockRight and carrier. It was a thrust washer between the two and the LockRight was eating away the thrust washer. If it would have continued, eventually the carrier would have been toast and probably the gears too (after the carrier goes...). The guys in the shop see a lot of LockRights and say they are very hard on carriers. They never recommend them with non-disco front ends without a hub conversion. Because I didn't buy this axle for the LockRight and am eventually going to run an ARB, I had them take the LockRight out. This will save wear and tear on the carrier and the mechanic says the locker itself has nothing wrong with it. So I will be selling that if anyone wants it. What would be a fair price?

The bad thing is this cost more than expected... $430. Price is mostly all labor and new spider gears. The work has a full guarantee and right now that gives me some peace of mind. I know its a lot and my wife is actually mad at me now and so am I because the money I have in this thing could have gotten me a custom D44. But I am trying to make the best of it and look on the bright side. At least I have an axle that is better than what I started with (LP30 with stock gears). I pick up the jeep tomorrow (today already) and all I hope is that it is fixed and won't have to go through this again.

Eric-
Sorry to hear about your trouble. If you need a buyer for the Lockright, send me a PM and we'll work something out.

you should seriously consider joining a local 4x4 club. Around here, the labor discount for a full gear installation is $100, with the nice azvjc discount. Usually 250 beocomes 150 (at the right place, you gotta shop around when you're poor :) ). You got taken for your money, but I'm glad you have the problem solved.

Back