• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is Castrol finally making a true synthetic??

We sell that stuff at my work for $8.49 a qt. Not sure of the exact specs yet, but we have carried Castrol Syntec for years (black rectangularish qt size bottle) and as far as I know, it is also fully synthetic. I believe the Castrol Edge has new additives in it to help with engine wear and performance.

Well, a few years back, there was a lawsuit between Mobil and Castrol...cause Syntec, according to Mobil, wasn't a true synthetic since base oils weren't 'synthesized' like PAOs. Syntec was using 'super refined' dino oil and Mobil at that time was using PAOs.

I heard that this new Castrol Edge oil has PAOs in it...but not sure how much...

Good to know. I prefer Mobil to Castrol, but they are pretty durn close in quality levels, as far as I am concerned. I know Mobil outperforms Castrol, but I have used both and don't notice any difference in my XJ. (Keep in mind that we talking about a Jeep 4.0 versus, say, a high performance sports car!)

Back