• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Scorpion Bumper Kit???

Fast95Neon said:
any updates on this stuff?
better tie ins?
some options?
pictures?

when I get some more gas for my welder.....I'll have more pictures.....i'm about 95% done with the welding.

justin

old_man said:
These are made by a good friend just down the block from me. He visits the boards frequently. The kit is really sweet. He is an engineer and has spent a lot of time working on a good servicable design that it easy to build and is plenty strong. If you want a few more attachment points, it is trivial to add them. What he provides is 95% of the hard work has been done for you. I personally like his design better than most since it gives you the best approach angle I have seen. Heck, you would have a hard time buying the materials for that much, much less all the cutting.

sooooo for an extra $50 will he weld it up and let me come pick it up? :cheers:

Fast95Neon said:
lets see what ya got!
what kina gas and welder are you using?
i have a lincoln migpak welder
but no gas....

I have a Lincoln sp 175, running .035 wire, and the airgas mild steel mix...I'm done welding it. I will get pictures of the bumper with all my crappy welds tomorrow night....right now, I'm waiting on the steering box brace...aside from the grind-a-thon to make it look good.

all and all, I'm very happy with his product.

Justin

ok, here are the pictures....I still have alot of grinding to do, but these were all taken before I started, I will take more as I finish it up. I did change one thing, the lower part of the corners, for a little bit more clearance....The kit comes with everything....even a spacer platefor a gearbox brace.....I'm still waitng on mine, so I just tacked it in so I could tack everything else together.....it's a real good kit if you don't mind a little work, and alot of welding, try not to laugh at the welds too much....I'm not a welder...nor do I clain to be.

Justin

DSC04463.jpg

DSC04464.jpg

DSC04465.jpg

DSC04466.jpg

DSC04467.jpg

DSC04468.jpg

DSC04469.jpg

Not a bad job welding. How much wire did you use?

A bit of grinding and some paint and you will have a sweet bumper.

old_man said:

Wire?I really have no Idea..I started with a slightly used 10lb spool, and there is still alot there....I think I used about half the bottle(the big one) it's welded inside and out..it was alot of welding few hours here and there total of 4 days like that.

Your Buddy Chip puts out a good product for the do it yourselfer...I would buy from him again If I even need too.

justin

very cool not bad welds at all as long as you got good penetration you should be set - cant wait to see it smooth and painted

lowrange2 said:
His email is on the auction. One dude that bought something from him didn't care too much for the quality of cut. Plasma cut only cuts within a .038 Kerf width. The CNC lasers on the other hand cut a .001 kerf width and a lil cleaner side, but who tha hek cares if the cut aint pretty, you're gunna weld over it anyways! grind it pretty!

unless you tig the whole bumper your weld patern is going to be way wider than any of your tollerance levels your speaking of so it should be fine. I have two guys that are killer with just a hand tourch here at the shop and after you get to welding on something that was torch or plasma or laser cut your not going to be able to tell.

scorpio_vette said:
just my personal opinion, but i would take that scorpion out of the steel. i showed it to my wife and she couldn't figure out what it was until i told her. but that's just my opinion. maybe a little re-design of the scorpion wouldn't be a bad idea.

sorry, my wife is a graphic designer, so i notice alot of "visual" flaws. if your buddy is trying to use the scorpion logo as branding for his company, then it should be easily recognizable and stand out a little. and it's very hard to make a scorpion with a little personality since there are so many scorpion companies out there. LOL my shop also starts with scorpion.

Dude the only graphic flaw is the piss poor pic that was taken. it's a fuzzy pic in person you can totaly tell what it is unless you've never seen a scorpion before. I would leave it and if you don't like it you could always turn those into light holes or just cover them up from teh back side with some plate then fill with an off color paint to make them stick out.

Never mind I was looking at the pic on the main page ya the pic of it on the products not so good. Mabye a simple "IS" logo or something or just plane the way it comes would be better.

Last edited:
old_man said:

YA no kidding and you only have to grind on the outside leave all the inside welds the way they are. Flapper disks work great for taking alot of material off fast, but they don't last long you might need 3 or 4 to finish it off nice looking and all.

I was thinking two guys working on it could knock it out in a day but it might be about a two day project then.
That and you could always get some plate and box in the back side if you wanted to give it a bit more strength. I think how it is is a nice setup other than tying it back a bit more with added bolt in points that wouldn't be hard to add really.

Did you use a torch to heat up and make the bends on the end or just the hammer as he stated was needed?

Last edited:
I've started grinding and smoothing it out, i will get gome more pictures up tonight, when I get home. I just got his steering box brace's so I will need to put those on too...

Justin

Looks like a really nice bumper, I will keep it in mind for mine. But I do need a rear bumper with a tire carrier really soon. Does anyone know of a DIY rear bumper and tire carrier that will help with departure angles as nicely as this one doe the approach angle?

ok, here are a few more....nothing special, just a few after gringing ans smoothing some of it out. I went over ir first with 40 grit flap wheel, and then an 80 grit. The top was filed flat and the front will be too, just trying to make it look half way decent. I will probably just post up the final pictures next not much to special with this step of the process.

Has anyone else bought one of these, or am I the only one?

DSC04507.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04502.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

DSC04500.jpg

Have you thought about sandblasting it before you paint it?
I have a guy out here in CO that I'm hoping gets it for his rig. I'll be helping him out on it and for sure taking as many pics as I can.

I thought about maybe some thing guage sheet to box in the outer back side of that bumper. Help keep the mud/dirt and other stuff from building up. I think it looks sharp GOOD WORK!

Back