• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inverted-Y vs. crossover steering for DD/autox

Supermanxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought me a new DD/weekend autocrosser that I'd like to do the wj knuckle swap on for the benefits if bigger brakes. However, it will likely stay stock height so I'm wondering if there is any benefit to using the crossover steering like the wj has or just use the stock inverted-y steering.

The benefits I see to keeping stock inverted-y are
1. I already have it.
2. No need for trackbar relocation.

What say you? Should I go through the hassle of crossover?

pretty sure you're referring to inverted-T not crossover, Geoff... I may be wrong, steering's not my strong point.

I'd say do the WJ swap but put your stock inverted-Y on it, see how you like it. Since it bolts on and doesn't require any modifications, it's not like you're preventing yourself from being able to swap to the WJ steering as well if you decide you don't like how it handles.

i would do the wj swap for the bigger brakes first, not sure if crossover steering is really needed on the street but i'm sure jeep went that way on their grocery getter for a reason. i do not think i'd waste the money for just the steering. i'm sure there is less bump steer if you take the time to get your drag link and track bar geometry spot on.

At stock height or lower, I doubt crossover is going to improve steering much. Unless your factory parts are worn out and you are thinking "well, while I'm at it..."

The biggest thing about WJ steering for the off-road crowd isn't simply that it is a design change - it is that the drag link is raised a few inches on the axle side, mellowing out the angle from pitman arm to knuckle.

There is a world of difference between a true cross-over steering and the Y-link.

The x-over feels much more direct and connected. Y-link basically sucks in general IMO. The amount of toe changes with bump and jounce. Stupid design. Cheap ass garbage.

The WJ brakes are awesome in comparison as well. Great pedal feel compared to stock.

[C.f.: I drive a ~4.5" lifted XJ with WJ brakes and steering; until recently autocrossed an S2000]

Back