• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Introducing Little Orphan Annie and Myself

I really like the rear cargo rack. that thing is sweet.

This is a fine looking project. It brings back fond memories of my first xj, an 87 purchased in 1994. Same color too.

How long did it take to make the brackets?

Version 1 took only about 1 hour per side. All I did was build an adaptor to mount the seats to the stock tracks.

Version 2 on the drivers side, took much longer. So long that it isn't quite finsihed as yet.
The issue being that I wanted to make a mount that would compensate for the intrusion of the transmission tunnel on the drivers side and make it so that I can get a drawer under the seat to hold my camera.

I do have a question; Who here has had a difficult time getting a thermostat housing to seal?
I just replaced my t-stat and it took several attempts to get the damn housing to stop weeping.

Last edited:
I do have a question; Who here has had a difficult time getting a thermostat housing to seal?
I just replaced my t-stat and it took several attempts to get the damn housing to stop weeping.

RTV on the lower bolt and inside where the lower bolt goes. I usually use a sticky gasket and lots of RTV . never leaks. what exactly are you doing such that it always leaks?

hell yes i love it, this is what xj's are all about. Picking one up dirt cheap, throw some cheap used parts at it, and your out wheeling and camping for next to nothing. And after you've crinkled the unibody to no return you move onto the next.

Nice project

RTV on the lower bolt and inside where the lower bolt goes. I usually use a sticky gasket and lots of RTV . never leaks. what exactly are you doing such that it always leaks?

That is what I ended up doing, except that I ended up having to drill out the lower bolt and re-taping it for a larger bolt. I am used to having a gasket simply sealing the housing (being a Ford Technician, we use only factory procedures and that is what normally works). This time: once the lower bolt was fixed, a fresh gasket and, like you said, a crap load of RTV and the leak is gone.

hell yes i love it, this is what xj's are all about. Picking one up dirt cheap, throw some cheap used parts at it, and your out wheeling and camping for next to nothing. And after you've crinkled the unibody to no return you move onto the next.

Nice project

Thanks!

I intend to put some rock sliders on her before the body gets twisted up. In fact, I have a set of T n T subframe braces to put in, hopefully before the year end. I will build the rock rails off of those.

Speaking of the braces, I am going to try some structurial adheasive and the primeter weld after the glue has set up. Has anyone tried that?

Thank You:

I haven't posted any updates during the last couple of weeks. For obvious reasons.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!

But in that time, I did manage to get a few things done on Annie.

First a Front Skid Plate (my x-mas present to Annie):

FrontSkid01_zps09197276.jpg

FrontSkid02_zpsc7ca7bbb.jpg

FrontSkid03_zps477c4640.jpg

Skid Plate is from Rustys Off Road.

Second: A Snorkle.

Snorkle03_zps1299b430.jpg

Snorkle01_zpsae950739.jpg

Snorkle02_zps1e777c1d.jpg

A couple of Shots from under the fender:

Snorkle04_zpsa9792354.jpg

Snorkle05_zps1a3d8685.jpg

And a Shot of where it attaches to the Air Box:

Snorkle07_zps9c4e1475.jpg

The snorkle was / is a cheap one that I picked up from E-bay. Probably not as well made as a ARB, but not anywhere near as expesive either. Probably the biggest issue was the instructions SUCKED.

And FINALY got a Optima installed and the battery cable ends cleaned up and improved. I also finshed hooking up the Winch;

FrontBattery09_zps0abd2686.jpg

FrontBattery08_zpsc201fa8c.jpg

And todays project is: To Build a mounting bracket for the Second Battery:

RearBattery10_zps27b87f28.jpg

As for today's project, which turned out to become a weekend project, or projects. This is what I got done over the weekend.

First, installed a gauge pod:

GaugePod04_zps88ad9ee5.jpg

GaugePod01_zps98d456fc.jpg

Just to explain, I grew up in the World of VW. And we live and die by oil temp. Considering that I have a manual transmission, trans temp is not very important, I figured that keeping an eye on the engine oil temp can't hurt. Besides, I wil eventually install a oil cooler to help reduce the load on the cooling system.

Second, The Battery Mount.

The beginning, a base:

BatteryMount01_zpsa42c6cc1.jpg

A couple of brackets:

BatteryMount02_zpsbc12cc06.jpg

A test Fit:

BatteryMount03_zps380aebe8.jpg

A rear verticle brace to help support the battery tray. I had found that the base mounts were not quite far enough apart.

BatteryMount04_zps8a41acca.jpg

The rear part of the Hold down:

BatteryMount05_zps1433eeaa.jpg

Front and top parts of the hold down, and painted:

BatteryMount06_zps8240b8eb.jpg

Rear shot painted:

BatteryMount07_zpsa154b764.jpg

A shot of the hold down not in position:

BatteryMount09_zps141f6a10.jpg

Battery Mount in place:

BatteryMount16_zps9a4d3663.jpg

And with Battery in place:

BatteryMount12_zps4cc0564c.jpg

Finished, except for the wiring.

Must have been her twin. Annie, right now, is locked in the garage. She is not used as a daily driver. As for our location, I am in the Madison Ave and I-80 area, but work in Elk Grove.

There are several XJ's running around with that paint color. Me thinks that I will have to extend the camo colors from the front bumper to the rest of the truck soon.

Back