• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internet service recommendation

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
For several years I have relied only on cell coverage for Internet access, recently moved to a new place and have no coverage.

I don't need the fastest service, Netflix is my highest bandwidth use.

My biggest concern is not having to deal with promotional rates, I'm not willing to start at $30 a month only to see it reach $75 a month next year.

So...who do you like?

Do you have cable in your area? Are you limited to phone (DSL). Satellite, which I have some experience in, it not cheap, and probably you least best option. You're not that far out in the sticks, that you don't have cable, DSL, etc, are you? I do know your area a bit, and you should have several options.

David Bricker / SYR

I use Cox. the service is pretty damn reliable. I pay for extra bandwidth for work. (80mb/s) but I regularly speeds of double that because they have a high bandwidth in my area. for basic netflix/browsing you can stay between 10 and 20 and never have an issue, depending on how many machines you run.

I had AT&T and I wasn't impressed. Time Warner seems to be good as well, but I have no

rates change. you just have to keep fighting them. make it clear you are willing to walk away and go with their competitor.

I use Cox. the service is pretty damn reliable. I pay for extra bandwidth for work. (80mb/s) but I regularly speeds of double that because they have a high bandwidth in my area. for basic netflix/browsing you can stay between 10 and 20 and never have an issue, depending on how many machines you run.

I had AT&T and I wasn't impressed. Time Warner seems to be good as well, but I have no

rates change. you just have to keep fighting them. make it clear you are willing to walk away and go with their competitor.

I have time warner and am ready to leave. I initially signed up paying 35.99/month and now i pay 65.99. I've called a few times and they've refused to lower my rate unless i sign up for more services such as cable tv and/or home security.

I have DirecTV for my tv service and they were just bought out by ATT so i'm going to look into bundling my TV with ATT uverse internet.

I have time warner and am ready to leave. I initially signed up paying 35.99/month and now i pay 65.99. I've called a few times and they've refused to lower my rate unless i sign up for more services such as cable tv and/or home security.

I have DirecTV for my tv service and they were just bought out by ATT so i'm going to look into bundling my TV with ATT uverse internet.

tell TW that you are going to go with ATT unless they fix your rate.

you may spend some time on the phone, but keep climbing up the chain until you find someone that can do what you want.

We have TW and my wife calls them about every 3 months, adjusts a few things and gets the rate back down again. She is good at wearing them down on the phone until she gets her way.

We have TW and my wife calls them about every 3 months, adjusts a few things and gets the rate back down again. She is good at wearing them down on the phone until she gets her way.

I usually just get frustrated and make them cancel my service and go elsewhere. I have no patience for this.

I see I'm not alone. I previously had time Warner and was more than impressed with the Internet service....their price increases and having to fight on the phone got very old, that's why I left. I've got to look into att since I have directv, I'll also check and see if there is fios here yet.

I've had fios for years, wouldn't even consider changing.

I use TimeWarner for nearly two decades now and I've been very happy with them. My cost varies between $33 and $45. I have to call them each time my "current" promotion ends. (knock on wood) I have had only about 1 outage a year and it's mostly related to downed wire or something like that. Only one time in the time I had them there was a longer outage (2 days) and that was due to servers getting fried on their end due to power grid issues (that was early on in my time with them).

It makes no sense to me to have to call and haggle on my price the longer that I am with them. You would think that they'd give you some sort of loyalty discount the longer that you keep the service.

With that said I still haven't called lol. I did get a letter in the mail saying that i can get att uverse starting at 15.99/month. I think that covers 3mb so i'd be looking for a faster package.

Back