• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Sleeping Room? 97 2dr...

wow i caused a lot of interest! To bad the instant-notify thing only sent me 2 of the post from here.

So the solution is to pull teh rear seat out and pop in a full size air mattress? That sounds easy if all it is is a slide.

As for the windshield, JC whitney makes a windshield cover that covers the coutside of the window and comes back inside to be secured in. It was only like 30$ if i member right. By doing that, Tinting all my windows, and getting a home made screen for my front windows (my only windows since its a 2 dr) I think I should be golden! Thanks for all the help guys! if anyone has any pictures please post up!

wishihad1 said:
i havn't really looked into it yet, but im only about 6"1' and have a hard time sleeping in the back of mine (4 door) even diagonal, so i dont know how some of you that are 6"4' do it. but how hard is it to remove the bottom cushon. it seems like if i could move that up just an inch at times id be completely confortable. let alone just completely getting rid of it

91 Jeep Project said:
There is a little latch on the passenger side. You flip that and pull the seat off the stud, then just slide it out on the other side. It's like a 30 second job.

what he said. Well i am a legit 6'4" i didnt say it was 5 star hotel :kissyou: Just that i can fit diagonally. Its usually better than a tent in that its flat and level and not full of bugs and toads and crap that seem to get into my tent. Dont have to worry about water or wind. If i was 5'10 i would love it.

as mentioned i removed my seat cushion of rear seat, so my 4 door is completely flat after the front eats. If you slide up the front seats and have that flat area its quite nice ... all things considered.

mikeforte said:
I agree but upon looking @ their website one finds the absence of price to be a hinderance. Is there a dealership here stateside which might be able to help with a USD price?

There are about 10 companies that make the roof-top tents. In the US, the largest is: http://www.autohomeus.com/

Cheapest one I've found is $850 shipped. The better tents are upwards of $1200. :dunno:

I dont know how you guys sleep in these things, I'm 5'9 and even diagonal I feel cramped

IslanderOffRoad said:
I dont know how you guys sleep in these things, I'm 5'9 and even diagonal I feel cramped

Easy, just do as they say and take out that rear butt bench seat... very easy and tons of room.

Any one have any pictures of this set up with an air mattress back there?

Last edited:
selarep said:
Easy, just do as they say and take out that read butt bench seat... very easy and tons of room.

Any one have any pictures of this set up with an air mattress back there?

But then I can't take people wheeling with me.

I'm just gonna buy a tent trailer.

.... thats why you only take 1 other person with you wheeling and try to make it a female. this way you dont have to worry about sleeping in the back seat with a dude.

The purpose of me asking this was because I am taking my woman with me camping to pismo this weekend so I wasnt some extra room.

Behave Ricky!

If you go the air mattress route, make sure you fill up the mattress after you close the rear hatch. When I first got my junk, I went on a four day, and on the first night after drinking up a bit, I closed the hatch and pinched a large hole in the air mattress. No love from the Mrs. that night, just hard elbows and cold complaints. :cry:

Stay dry, its supposed to rain this weekend. Pismo is freakin rad in the rain.

PS. I dont have much for sale, except some shocks.

:cheers:

Ben H said:
Behave Ricky!

If you go the air mattress route, make sure you fill up the mattress after you close the rear hatch. When I first got my junk, I went on a four day, and on the first night after drinking up a bit, I closed the hatch and pinched a large hole in the air mattress. No love from the Mrs. that night, just hard elbows and cold complaints. :cry:

Stay dry, its supposed to rain this weekend. Pismo is freakin rad in the rain.

PS. I dont have much for sale, except some shocks.

:cheers:

Awe man, I was hoping you would have like a wherehouse full of stuff. Matt Does! or he will... in like a year! lol

I'll be sure to fill it up (mattress) at home 1st then see how it feels here before i load anything else up.

when's the next time we're all getting together Ben?

I am going up the mountain this Friday for a little wheeling. Leaving around 10ish. Hit me up if you want to go. If not then we'll have to hit up happy hour somtime soon.

awe man i would love to but i'm in the police academy from monday-friday from 0400-1600... yay.

Your going to get wet this weekend... Remember to take your shoes off before you get in, sand in your bed blows... wet sand would be much worse. Take out the rear seat and leave it at home, taking it out and putting it back over and over sucks.

I sleep in mine with my girlfriend plenty of times every year, we both fit pretty good back there.....im 5' 11'', shes shorter than me......we lay down a few blankets for a soft pad, and a few more to cover up with......pretty damn nice, if you ask me.....we camp out in April too, and im in PA, so it could be in the 40s at night(not normal), or in the teens(normal).....keep the hatch closed, run the heat til it gets nice inside, shut it off, go to bed......when i wake up to piss, i turn it back on, heat it back up, go back to bed.......no rain or snow to worry about.......and it sure beats taking down a tent on sunday morning in the rain or snow, when its COLD as hell out, and hung over, lol.......toss our shit back in the back, drive home, clean up on monday, lol......i use my spare tire to hold a flashlight, contact case, and a few beers for the night, lol......LOVE trout camping in good ole PA!!!!! if its wram, we leave the hatch open, hang a tarp down over the hatch, and a few 30 packs of brew to keep it in place.....LOVE to camp in the Jeep! :us:

I just went to the NM border for a funeral and slept in the jeep. Im only 5'10" and HAD to sleep diagonaly or I couldnt lay flat. Wish this thread was around prior to me leaving! I was drunk and somewhat sick so it was a PIA literally...

selarep said:
awe man i would love to but I'm in the police academy from Monday-Friday from 0400-1600... yay.

Which Academy was that; State, county, P.D. or private? Did you pass the ethics portion of the curriculum?

Haha. I was wondering what this thread was leading to...

I have slept in my 87 2 dr.....

Diagonoly is the way to go....

Or sleep in the front seats with them reclined.....

It was a quick nap, since I don't have a set of house keys (wife has those), I had to go somewhere, plus I was on some damn good pain killers for my shoulder....

This was one of the few let downs when I bought my XJ. Im 6 even and slept in the back 4 or 5 times and was not at all comfy. I had an 92 2door S10 Blazer that was Kickass for sleeping in the back, floor folded flat, lots of room. Figured the 4 door XJ would be even better. Not so. I will however try removing the bottom cushion next time tho. Hopefully that does the trick. If not then F it Im buying a Quigley Van!

Back