• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interco IROK tires

smokinlib1

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone here use these tires? I just got back from Moab and a buddy of mine that went there with us has these on his XJ. They are 37x14.50x15. By the time we finished Pritchett Canyon he was ready to rip the tires off his Jeep! Not only did he have to be winched up every obstacle, he watched as my brother in his XJ crawled right up everyone of the same obstacles on his 5 year old 33" Cooper STT's. I did the same thing with my 96 and my brand new Pro Comp Extreme MT 2's. If this is the way these Interco tires work, as soft as they are, who spends the money for them? All he did was spin and spin and spin on the slick rock! Same problems on Moab Rim and even on Hells Revenge! For a tire that is rated 5 stars in the rocks these things sucked in Moab on the slick rock there!
I just wanted to get some other opinions on people who are or have used them so I can share it with him.

Thanks!

Bias aren't bad

Well hell, that's a shining endorsement if I have ever seen one. They should put that in their ads.

"Iroks: the bias aren't bad."

I bet they could sell tens of tires.

Anyway, were the original tires in question at 30psi or 5 psi?

What tire pressure was he running? To get the bias plys to flex and grip, you have to get down into the single digits, radials probably 6 or 7 psi.

Well hell, that's a shining endorsement if I have ever seen one. They should put that in their ads.

"Iroks: the bias aren't bad."

I bet they could sell tens of tires.

Anyway, were the original tires in question at 30psi or 5 psi?
My friend runs them and I will be soon unless a set of tsl sxs appear for under 1200. They do pretty alright in the rocks and shine in wet rocks and muddy rocks. Some one else in my group runs radials at 5 psi and they aren't nearly as sticky as the bias.

Bias aren't bad

Yes they are. Saw a few guys running them many years ago. Slipping and sliding all over the place when the guys running other tires would hook up and have plenty of grip. Don't waste your money on anything with interco on the sidewall unless you actually NEED a set of boggers to run in deep mud.

my 36" bias iroks could not hold a line . I had to floor it. Ive been very impressed with the 37" wrangler MTRs, the 40" MTRs, and pro comp extreme MT2s...

I was not impressed by my mtrs. I liked my swampers for where I wheel.

Didn't realise this was in the Sierra chapter my point is null and void.

I was not impressed by my mtrs. I liked my swampers for where I wheel.

Didn't realise this was in the Sierra chapter my point is null and void.

It's all relative to what terrain you drive in. Your point is valid for wet and muddy areas.

What is your take on the new style mt/r tire in the mud? Old style sucked beyond belief, new style is better but I avoid mud as much as possible so I have no experience in deep mud with the new tread pattern.

Last edited:
Honestly they aren't impressive. My grabbers are pretty much on par. They cake up if you don't have enough wheel speed. Good on wet rocks good on dry rocks OK on softer hill climbs but they seem to dig more than climb.

I'm on my 7th set of Goodyear MT/r's. my 2nd set of the new style. They seem to be the tire of choice for the Sierra Chapter as they do extremely well in our terrain which is mostly rocks and some dirt.

I will say I am not too impressed with the longevity of the newer tread pattern tires. The rubber compound seems to harden up over time, long before the tread wears out. I replaced my last set with almost 75% tread left due they didn't hook up very well once the rubber started to dry out and harden up. They were only about 5 years old with limited drive time. There is a big difference between the softer feel of the treads on my newest set of MT/r's, less than a year old, and my 5 year old never been used spare tire. I thought it might be the sun but my rig gets parked in a garage only sees the light of day when out on trails. One other guy in the chapter noticed the same thing and talked about it on our last run. Time will tell I guess.

I am looking at the new cooper stt pro that looks like a promising tire but it is to new for me to commit. My grabbers aren't changing that much other than a bit of trail wear and tear.

He was running 8 PSI. Even that they just spun and spun in areas we were just walking up. He's pretty bummed because he was told by a "good" friend that these tires were the best in the rocks so he went out and bought a set and now regrets ever mounting them on his wheels. Bet I know where there will be a deal on some IROKS!

Back