• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Insurance

first question....how old are you?

i'm guessing suffice it to say....the xj is a 4x4

if u are under 25, unmarried, and have a 4x4...doesnt matter if u are a guy or a girl....insurance is thru the roof.

insurance companies base rates on a lot of things....safety features of your car...whether or not you are married, under 25, male or female, how many tickets/accidents you have, etc. . .

ladywolf said:
insurance companies base rates on a lot of things....safety features of your car...whether or not you are married, under 25, male or female, how many tickets/accidents you have, etc. . .
And now they are looking at F.I.C.O. Scores...That is the dumbest thing of all. Can't pay your bills so lets make it more expensive for you to insure your car.

well guess i'm glad i can pay my bills and afford to insure 3 rigs....2 jeeps and a subaru....

my baja (subaru) is like 180 bucks a month.....the cj is like 120 bucks for 6 months.....and the xj is like 140 bucks for 6 months.......insurance should drop like a rock this october when i turn 25

ladywolf said:
well guess i'm glad i can pay my bills and afford to insure 3 rigs....1 94 Jeep , a 02 Mazda Truck, and a 01 Volvo S60 2.4T....

~$150 a month for all w/ absolute full coverage :D Now for the payments, oy!!

lol well my two heaps are paid for.....however the baja aint....and thats 480 a month....i'm just gonna start buyin insurance at 6 months a pop and be broke for that month.......guess we'll see how it goes when i get back from this trip to the sandbox

What gets me is that I am now 33 years old, married, non-smoker, and carrying basic coverage only - for the same price I paid when I was 16 with full coverage (on my own car - and only my name on the pink slip!)

I also found it mildly (and darkly) amusing that we moved a few years ago - we moved about ONE STINKIN' MILE - just enough to change ZIP codes - and Allstate decided that we needed to pay an additional 30%. Dropped them like a hot rock - AAA gave me back the rates we had then. Same roads, same damn fools - but a 30% hike for a one-mile move? Don't give me that "statistical" or "actuarial table" crap - I'm probably in the top 1% of drivers out here anyhow (I've certainly had more training than most people out here - including the cops.)

5-90

lol yea well you will join the ranks of all of us old(er) folk eventually. my insurance is thru USAA....and they havent screwed me so far......i could get cheaper through progressive for the baja....but i dont feel like changing companies right now

5-90 said:
I also found it mildly (and darkly) amusing that we moved a few years ago - we moved about ONE STINKIN' MILE - just enough to change ZIP codes - and Allstate decided that we needed to pay an additional 30%. Dropped them like a hot rock - AAA gave me back the rates we had then. Same roads, same damn fools - but a 30% hike for a one-mile move? Don't give me that "statistical" or "actuarial table" crap - I'm probably in the top 1% of drivers out here anyhow (I've certainly had more training than most people out here - including the cops.)

I had a similar experience a few years ago when I moved from Orange County to Los Angeles. Never mind that the ZIP code I'd moved into was rated as one of the top five safest in LA and that the local PD hadn't had a car crime (much less an actual theft) on the books for it in over four months - Mercury still raised my rates almost 45%. Changed back to AAA, ended up paying less than I had been. It's all a scam, and they know we're obliged to buy.

"Obliged?" That would imply an accepted responsibility. How about "required by law?"

Granted, there's (I'm fairly sure) a way to deal with that - what with all the taxes we have to pay anyhow, make for a single-payer, no-fault system. Have it deal directly with medical payments and vehicle/property repairs directly stemming from the incident under question, and have a "failure analysis" as well - so if fault does need to be assigned, it can be dealt with expeditiously.

Here's an interesting result of "requiring" insurance:

Last October (or so,) I had a rollaway in the parking lot - the second Peugeot gearbox that my 88 has had since I owned him failed. The vehicle rolled about 20 feet, down an incline that is less than the "crown" in the roadway. If I'd been there, I could probably have stuck out my hand and stopped it. This was at school, BTW - no-one was injured. In fact, no-one was present at the time of the incident - it was found out later.

My vehicle? 1988 XJ w/"bumper thumper" on the front. Metal bumpers. Other vehicle? Late-model Honda with the polyurethane bumper fascia (why is it people can't be arsed to have bumpers anymore?)

Extent of damage? One of the bumper thumper uprights managed to cut through the bumper fascia - about a half-inch wide gash, by about three inches long. No sheetmetal damage.

All this process going on - I get a call from AAA a couple days ago, asking what damage I had noticed at the time. They'd gotten a bill for $2200 from the body shop - and I told them they were getting robbed. I worked in a body shop for a while - even accounting for labour, if that bill was over $400, someone was getting hosed (and it wasn't going to be me.) Apparently, they also replaced the rear quarter panel - on the OPPOSITE side of the car! No way on Gawd's Green Earth that was damaged - I checked. I also provided a visual appraisal of the damage when I wrote the original letter to AAA - ideally, to prevent this.

I should have taken pictures. If it was a "single-payer" system, we wouldn't have COMPANIES out to screw each other - they'd all be the same outfit!

At least my premiums won't go up as a result - it was a mechanical failure, I replaced the transmission that week-end, and I was using wheel chocks until I did. Don't tell me about "liability" - I hear that sort of thing all the time. Unlike most others out here, I actually take (at least some) responsibility with my vehicle's maintenance - it's just that transmission lubricant IS a maintenance item, and transmission rebuilding is NOT.

I've got to get an AX-15 or an NV3550.

5-90

I have two 17 Y.O. sons. one traded his 90 XJ for a 94 Caprice,
Ins went from $110 to $74 per month liability only.
The other on moved out, dropped his insurance, but continued to drive.
$600.00 no insurance ticket plus SR22 (state pool) insurance
for one year.
His insurance bill would be, if he could afford it, $650.00 per month!
I suggested he buy a good pair of shoes!
His responce?
"Thats not fair!"
"Welcome to the real world son", was my sympathetic answer.

i guess he learned, huh;)

5-90 said:
"Obliged?" That would imply an accepted responsibility. How about "required by law?"

Ah, but as law-abiding citizens the legal requirement makes us obliged... Either way, I'm splitting hairs.

Granted, there's (I'm fairly sure) a way to deal with that - what with all the taxes we have to pay anyhow, make for a single-payer, no-fault system. Have it deal directly with medical payments and vehicle/property repairs directly stemming from the incident under question, and have a "failure analysis" as well - so if fault does need to be assigned, it can be dealt with expeditiously.

I always liked the model used in South Africa for this: a per-gallon fuel tax (around 5c or so, IIRC) that covered minimal liability only. You could never have an uninsured vehicle on the road, and any additional coverage was up to the owner. As much as I'm not a huge fan of the government running things, I really do feel that in cases where you're legally compelled to have <insert service here> they should be administering the programme in question.

Back