• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Hopkins Trailer Brake in a 97-2001 XJ without factory tow.

Cal777

NAXJA Forum User
I couldn't find a write up anywhere that would have made this install a lot easier, so here's just a few key things to know as you read the instructions that came with the unit. This is not a step by step. It will be obvious from the instructions exactly what to do with the white and black wires coming from the controller.
1. White is neutral and goes to battery ground (black). Black is the hot wire for the controller and goes to battery positive (red).
2. Blue: Look behind the kick panel left of the drivers feet, near the top and you will find a blue wire marked with some writing that has likely faded off by now. It used to say "trailer brake". Connect this blue wire to the blue lead off your controller. This blue lead goes to the back of your vehicle and terminates with a connector behind the rear panel in your cargo area. Right near where you connected your four pin adapter to get lights to your trailer. You can use a spade connector to connect up to this since you will not likely find the factory connector. Run a blue wire from the connector behind the panel to the blue wire on your vehicles towing connector. In my case I have an adapter to switch from a 4 pin to 7 pin configuration to pull a camp trailer.
3. Red wire: The red wire on these years of XJ will use the splice connector that will come with the kit. Follow the instructions the key is you must splice into the correct wire with this device. Look up at the Brake switch and note that the wh/pk wire is #1. You want to tap the 5th wire on the connector or wh/tn. That's a white wire, with a tan stripe. In the case of mine there were 7 total wires, with a sixth and seventh that some vehicles or years will not have. My seventh wire was the same color as the fifth, so just see that you tap the 5th wire, with the 1st wire for reference being the white and pink.

Back