• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installed lock-right into '89 xj dana 35 non c clip

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took me 6 hours total to research, buy, and install the lock right. How many hours would it have taken to research, locate, buy, and install an axle and everything thats goes along with it?
im sure if you posted up in your local chapters classifieds for a 29 spline 8.25 you would of found one extremely quickly

It took me 6 hours total to research, buy, and install the lock right. How many hours would it have taken to research, locate, buy, and install an axle and everything thats goes along with it?

Judging by the random strange, he knocks it out in 2 hours and then goes and gets random girls drunk so he can get their numbers..........:gag:

FWIW, axle swaps can be done fairly quickly if you know what you're doing. A D35 C-clip or not is not a strong axle. Look at it however you want but I wheel my jeep, tow with it and drive it everyday, a D35 isn't gonna handle that so I bought one with n 8.25 and I'm swapping in a 8.8 for 4.10 gears and disks......and the locker that came in it.

Last edited:
im sure if you posted up in your local chapters classifieds for a 29 spline 8.25 you would of found one extremely quickly

I have one............there he found one.

I never said it was a strong axle and the non c-clip is slightly stronger than a c-clip dana 35,
due to having a shorter neck down area before the splines and more spline engagment.
Its better also because when you break a shaft you dont loose your wheel/tire.
Also if you compare a 27 spline 8.25 shaft with a dana 35 shaft the dana 35 is larger.
Will a dana 35 work for every one? no.
If you have one can you maybe take an easier line,let off the throttle when you start to bounce and
wheel accordingly to make it last a little longer? YES!
Now as far as wheeling harder "chit" I do which is why I now run a dana44, but when I had a 35 I was smart about my driving to avoid being "that guy".

Also if you compare a 27 spline 8.25 shaft with a dana 35 shaft the dana 35 is larger.
due to stronger housing and probly better material for the shafts i say the 8.25 is stronger, i coulnt break mine trying

Well, lets see...
Convince myself to get off my lazy ass and actually go to the JY... 20 min
Grab tools, load up car, drive to JY... 20 min
Walk around, take inventory of the Exploders with good axles to pick from... 10 min
Decide on a certain one, remove axle... ~30-45min, again I'm lazy
Haul axle to the counter and pay, assuming I'm on the farthest corner of the yard possible... 10 min
Load up and drive to/use spray-wash... 15 min
Drive home and unload the now-clean axle... 10 min
Strip axle down to bare tubes... 20 min
Make brackets from scratch using 3/16" mild steel... 20 min
Take leaf spring and shock measurements, and burn brackets home... 30 min
Change dif fluid... 10 min
Paint... 30 min
Install... 45 min

TOTAL... 4.75hrs. Round it to 5 hours to account for cooling after welding and drying after paint.

So, less time, same money, better axle.
Go kick yourself twice now.

Does his d35 effect you in any way? Do you wheel with him? Are you going to have to fix his ride?
Why talk shit to him? Are you guys still in high school? Hes wheeling and wrenching on his jeep and enjoying it.
Good job on the install and you got a great price on the lock right, sorry we arent part of the cool crowd.

I ran 31s on a D35 with a (functional) factory LSD for about a year after lifting my XJ. It didn't explode.

However, I also made a conscious effort to take it very easy on that axle. Did my level best to avoid putting sudden stress loads on it, accelerated as easily as possible, let the tyres spin down when losing grip instead of jamming on the brakes, etc. The other thing that I did was to replace it with a D44 as soon as the right one cropped up and I had the money to buy it, because keeping the D35 back there was just not a good idea.

Have a look at http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/ , note how they fail, and also note that there are two photos at the bottom of that page showing products designed to let you limp off the trail when your D35 axle shafts break. You may want to obtain one of those devices if you stick with the D35; contact information for the manufacturers can be found by clicking the pictures to enlarge them.

No, I don't wheel with him, and I'm glad of that... I don't like hauling busted rigs off the trail when they didn't need to be busted.

My '96 8.25 (likely a 27 spline) has held up to being aired out several times, rev limiter on many occasions, and bounced all over whatever I felt like with 33s on it. I hammer down on that thing with very little regard for it and it has yet to break. I would replace the carrier, spiders, and shafts with 29 spline junk but the rig is not going to last much longer and I'll have a tow rig fixed up soon... and the new rig is getting an 8.8.

I have no idea why this started in this thread, but based on the fact that he calculated that his axle shafts WILL break in another thread he started, and then argued that everyone else was wrong when that was challenged, I'm not really sure why he's running this axle. Best choice would be to get a d35 from a tj with 4.10s, stick that locker in it, and sell it on craigslist, then use the money to buy all the stuff necessary for an 8.8 w/4.10s and LSD swap.

While we are discussing the Dana 35. I would like to replace mine but being in a state that normally has snow and ice eight months of the year, I would like to maintain the antilock brakes on the DD. Do any of the other axles available have the sensor ring necessary for the antilock system?

Last edited:
I believe that you can press the tone rings on to a 8.25

Thread cleaned up.

For those of you who feel the need to put someone down for running a D35, get over it and knock it off. Put the axle down all you want, not the user. If you're not able to play nicely, don't bother posting.

OP, congratulations on your successful install. I hope you have better luck with that axle than most people do. Word of advice: Keep your eyes open for a good condition 8.25, D44, or 8.8 and snatch it up. Good luck.

ive been running a d35 for 2 years now. most of that on 31's and for the last couple weeks (several trips seeing rocks, mud and dirt) on 32's wheeling harder than last year and havent had a failure, but like its been said i still take easier lines, and dont "pin it to win it"..... but what do i know. im still running the pukegoat with my stroker. fortunately i have an ax15, and an 8.8 sitting in my shop.

I had a D35 in my 96, I went mudding, I hit whoops at superstition and plaster city and ocitillo at 45-65,i got it 4 feet off the ground, i did dry pavement burnouts and did drifts in the rain with 31s. Oh and it survived rolling down a cliff 5 times. Never broke

Why would anyone put any money into a Dana 35?

Why would anyone lock a Dana 35?

It's just a matter of time now . . .

:explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back