• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

info on windrock/coal creek

jeepmj_tj

NAXJA Forum User
A group of us are going up there the weekend on of the 19th. I have done a little research online about the place. There is a camp ground within 2 miles of the trail head, does it have bath houses now? And is that the best place to camp.?

Also what are some of the best trails to run. I have been studying a map and it seems quite confusing. All of our rigs are locked F&R with the smallest tire being a 33".

thanks joe.

It's hard to say right now. Some of the trails are closed and have been rerouted due to the mining operation. Atomic Ridge is one of the toughest ones for steep climbs and descents. Some rocks too. Better have good brakes or really low gears. Trail 21 has gotten really good lately too. For straight up rocks.... Rattlerock is the most hardcore thing around. Once you are on the rocks, you dont touch dirt all the way up the mountain. It's relatively short, but can take a few hours to run. I have seen lots of carnage on that trail.

Don't forget about the mud. Some of the trails have some hefty water holes you have to go through.... and some slimey no traction mud. A buddy of mine rolled his XJ end over going down one of the trails there a few months ago... Maybe Atomic Ridge. It was raining though. Of course there are tons of trails you can do with one locker and 32 inch tires too

Rattlerock...plan on making a day of it...The trail makes a left and goes up behind where the guy pictured is..33's may not cut it without using the cable a few times..great place though.
DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

looks awesome
isn't a spring se Naxja run being planned for there??

Harvo said:
It's hard to say right now. Some of the trails are closed and have been rerouted due to the mining operation. Atomic Ridge is one of the toughest ones for steep climbs and descents. Some rocks too. Better have good brakes or really low gears. Trail 21 has gotten really good lately too. For straight up rocks.... Rattlerock is the most hardcore thing around. Once you are on the rocks, you dont touch dirt all the way up the mountain. It's relatively short, but can take a few hours to run. I have seen lots of carnage on that trail.

Don't forget about the mud. Some of the trails have some hefty water holes you have to go through.... and some slimey no traction mud. A buddy of mine rolled his XJ end over going down one of the trails there a few months ago... Maybe Atomic Ridge. It was raining though. Of course there are tons of trails you can do with one locker and 32 inch tires too

whats the depth of these "water holes".

so no one knows whether or not that camp ground has bath facilities?

jeepmj_tj said:
whats the depth of these "water holes".

Here's a small one and those are 38.5s....and although I could get to the end of it, the departure was so steep my front diff. was plowing...shame to say I winched one of my buddies made it...course he was on 44's :laugh3:

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, thats my backyard! (UT student) Are those the ruts on the backside of 13?

No word on the campground, though you can do primitive camping in the parking lot at the base of the trails, and you could always opt to camp out in the trailsystem.

Oh, rattlerock obviously even just to watch, but trail 7 and 14 are good intense (rocky) short trails that let you cut across the mtn. If it's dry 13 and 15 are cakewalks and have little to no rock,but if it rains a little 13 gets nasty going forward, and the ruts on 15 are impossible to do without tall tires. They easily swallow 35"s

yeah we had a pretty good time. We got mislead and ran trail 16 which was cake. but we wheeled up a creek for a little section which was fun.

then on sunday we ran rattle rock.. took 3 rigs up it.

wind%20rock%20072.jpg

wind%20rock%20086.jpg
wind%20rock%20093.jpg

rest of the pics here. PICS

maybe one day, ill take my MJ up there..

What size are those Irocs? Can't wait till it warms up a bit and school is out. Is it still 15$ per person?

Lucas said:
What size are those Irocs? Can't wait till it warms up a bit and school is out. Is it still 15$ per person?

those are 36x13.50's bias plys on 8 inch rims.

yeah its still 15 dollars, sucks its per person..

BIGWOODY said:
Cool pics...that's a pretty cool YJ...TPI small block?

yeah its a TPI motor out of an 87 vette. hes running trbo 300/np205, dual d60's we have problems with it running hot, so we just took the hood off.

Back