• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In search of tech nerds of a different flavor

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all!

I have been cruising this website for many years, sometimes with my name in black and sometimes with my name in red. My XJ continues to chug along with it's original running gear (except for axles) as it passes 240,000 miles due in large part to the knowledge found within NAXJA and it's members. I have been daily driving my XJ for 13 years and it has been the most fun and reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Although I will never sell my XJ and will continue to drive it often, the time has come for a change of pace.

I just bought a 2005 Mustang GT that's pristine and bone stock, with the exception of a killer set of '07 Shelby GT500 wheels and tires. With an eye toward general maintenance and the inevitable future upgrades, I have been searching for a couple of weeks trying to find a suitable tech website for this car. What I have found is that there are A LOT of websites, but many only scratch the surface when it comes to all-encompassing knowledge of a vehicle. So far nothing rivals the level found at NAXJA. Yes, sometimes you've got to spend a ton of money and bolt something on, but what truly makes NAXJA what it is, is the ability of it's members to find a much more cost effective solution by picking the best features from various model years or adapting components from like vehicles to improve performance.

The reason for the post is to once again tap the collective knowledge and ask if anyone owns an S197 Mustang GT that has found a good website with the requisite "gurus of all things S197" lurking in the shadows.

Thanks and happy trails!

Scott

Since my name's not red right now, a run-down of my modest XJ may be in order...

1991 XJ Laredo, 4.0L w/ K&N FIPK, mandrel bent pre-cat exhaust w/ Dynomax cat-back, Brown Dog poly motor mounts, 3 core copper/brass radiator, AX-15 w/ post '96 fork/external slave conversion, NP231, 2001 Chrylser 29 spline 8.25 w/ 3.55's (and low miles!), 1996 Dana 30 w/ 760x's and axle tube seals, 3" Skyjacker lift w/ JKS sway bar disconnects, rear sway bar delete, 31x10.50 BFG Mud's, a whole selection of junkyard parts:)...

Unfortunately, NAXJA and your Jeep ownership has spoiled you in this regard. As a former owner of a Firebird and numerous Mustangs, what you're running into is about right. The depth of technical instruction and write-ups on NAXJA is pretty much unrivaled. Add into the mix a vehicle (Jeep)whose parts are mostly inexpensive and interchangeable over the many years and you end up with a website that can cater to whatever you might be looking to do to your vehicle, no matter what.

With Mustangs and such, you have some things that you can do to swap parts from other vehicles / years, but it's definitely not as open as what you can do with Jeeps. You will run into basic write-ups for the speed cars (Swapping rear ends, adding cam, etc..)but anything truly more in-depth than that is going to be hard to find as there is usually a very competitive nature for the speed car owner and any tip / trick / secret they use to milk the last bit of potential out of their ride, they keep to themselves.

Good luck with the site search, if I bump into anything, I'll pass it on to you..

I got a Honda Accord to DD.

It made me appreciate NAXJA.

Honda "tech" on all of the forums is how to take the dash apart and put LED's in it, or bolt up a new muffler.

Good luck getting proper technical support, you might as well just buy the FSM and start reading.

Thanks for the replies guys. You have definitely confirmed what I have come across so far. That's OK. I was hoping for some shortcuts but I'll be diggin into it myself when the time comes! NAXJA rocks.

LOL on the Honda tech. LED's and mufflers!

Take care.

The Cadillac forums are pretty bad too, pretty mixed between old women and gangsta types who don't know what to do when the oil pressure light comes on, although there are at least some old school semi-retired GM gearheads floating around who know how things work (mostly). You need your own FSM to survive, and interchange research involves going to the junkyards and measuring stuff yourself

I'm surprised that the Mustang forums aren't very good. I'd have expected a very active modder crowd. I know there are some Mustang enthusiasts here

www.svtperformance.com

Had a '03 GT, then a '98 Cobra over the course of 5 years and this site taught me almost everything I've learned about mustangs. Lots of BS and funny crap there, but tons of tech as well. I think I've got like 11k posts over there since 2005...

Unfortunately, NAXJA and your Jeep ownership has spoiled you in this regard. As a former owner of a Firebird and numerous Mustangs, what you're running into is about right. The depth of technical instruction and write-ups on NAXJA is pretty much unrivaled. Add into the mix a vehicle (Jeep)whose parts are mostly inexpensive and interchangeable over the many years and you end up with a website that can cater to whatever you might be looking to do to your vehicle, no matter what.

With Mustangs and such, you have some things that you can do to swap parts from other vehicles / years, but it's definitely not as open as what you can do with Jeeps. You will run into basic write-ups for the speed cars (Swapping rear ends, adding cam, etc..)but anything truly more in-depth than that is going to be hard to find as there is usually a very competitive nature for the speed car owner and any tip / trick / secret they use to milk the last bit of potential out of their ride, they keep to themselves.

Good luck with the site search, if I bump into anything, I'll pass it on to you..

No way dude. LS1tech and SVTP.com have huuuuge amounts of tech in them. There is so much going on with those cars since they've been around so long. People are thinking up new stuff every day. Plus there isn't just one thing to do like offroading with a Jeep. Autocross, road racing, drag racing, street terrors, show cars, etc.

Last edited:
Nice. I'll check it out immediately. Haven't run across that website yet.

Back