• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

in cab winch controls?

Root Moose said:
Has anyone actually installed this in an XJ? I'd really like to go this route but I don't want to be the guineau pig.

I just swapped a few emails with Seek Kwan at Kwanms.com.

The kit does work with the XJ but there is a specific wiring diagram and instruction set that is not quite ready yet. It'll be ready some time in March.

I know what the Easter Bunny is bringing me this year. LOL

r@m

Root Moose said:
I just swapped a few emails with Seek Kwan at Kwanms.com.

The kit does work with the XJ but there is a specific wiring diagram and instruction set that is not quite ready yet. It'll be ready some time in March.

I know what the Easter Bunny is bringing me this year. LOL

r@m
If you want it early, see if he will send it to you and then talk to me about install as I was the guinea pig :D

<edit> I just looked through my notes, and the install was easy. The electronics internally are same as for the TJ, so all you have to do is tap into the cruise control button wire as it goes towards to the PCM, tap into the wire that gets you the rpm's and supply power (ok, I have oversimplified, but it's really that easy). The only big problem was choosing the location for the module. I have placed it inside the engine bay on the right up against the hood, on the firewall on the passenger side: there is a spot there that fits it just perfect. That placement has one downside: one of the wires in the bundle was a tad short, but it wasn't hard to extend it.

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
If you want it early, see if he will send it to you and then talk to me about install as I was the guinea pig :D

I just saw the install manual for it (not sure if the product is officially out or not) and it looks good, they actually followed my suggestion as to the mounting location for the module :clap:.

Sort of off topic, but I was watching a show on the discovery channel (i think) a few years back about 4x4s and someone had an in cab winch controle while his buddy was getting the line and the dude hit reverse to pull the line, instead of feeding it out, well lets just say his friends fingers were a whole, whole lot thiner.

NitroDuck said:
Sort of off topic, but I was watching a show on the discovery channel (i think) a few years back about 4x4s and someone had an in cab winch controle while his buddy was getting the line and the dude hit reverse to pull the line, instead of feeding it out, well lets just say his friends fingers were a whole, whole lot thiner.

How did he manage that? the spooling speed on the winch isn't that fast and it's not that hard to let it go (unless the guy wraped the winch line around his hand for better grip?)

getting back on topic, I've just got an email from the folks at kwanms.com confirming that the gismo is not officially out and available for purchase

Kejtar said:
How did he manage that? the spooling speed on the winch isn't that fast and it's not that hard to let it go (unless the guy wraped the winch line around his hand for better grip?)

He was wearing gloves and somehow (the camera was in the cab when it happened) they glove got caught in it and i guess he couldnt get the glove off.

Goatman said:
The easiest way to do it is too just get an extra winch controler...

Actually, the easiest way to do it is to just use the winch controller you have and bring it in through the window.

Back