• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In 4wd I'm bogging and then stall...

yhateanxj?

NAXJA Forum User
So I've searched a bit using good old Google, but the answer has yet to appear. I figured I'd at least try here in hopes someone has had, or heard of similar issue. 93 xj, 174, xxx, ax15, 4.5" re lift 33's, Open/open, stock axles and gearing.

So I took a buddy up to goat mountain to show him the view at the towers and all. On the way up, I got to a point that I was having issues with. Now anyone thats ever been up there, knows it isnt hardcore by any means, but the road is trashed. All the way up it did fine, had it in 4hi, and max uphill speed was maybe 10-15. There was a small ledge I came to, and shifted down to ascend. When I gave it gas, it shuddered, and started to die. Even flooring it produced nothing, as if it were running out of gas. Shut it off, turned back on, same result. I had at least 3/4 of a tank. After it died again I restarted, and it ran real shitty, if I let off the gas it would die. Eventually I made it up.

Next trip out was sand lake. Cruising the dunes, in 4hi again, it did just fine. Then a small dune to climb, and it did the same thing. I would start it again, and time after time it would act as if it was out of gas and die. Both trips consisted of around 1/2 hr-45 minutes of 4hi, then death. Now if I get a long enough run, it makes it, but struggles a little. Around town, it drives perfect, no bogging, gets up and goes, idles quietly around 900-1000rpm. It only occurs in 4wd and after prolonged 4hi driving. Last few months, it has started to idle around 2000 when starting, and every now and then, maybe 5 times, also, like twice in last 6-8months, it has dropped idle at start to around 400 & acts like it want to die. In either case, a quick tap on the gas and it is fine. Occasionally, the high rpm will last for 4-5minutes of driving, then I have no more issues.

I know to check the obvious, but it stumps me that it only occurs in 4wd, and does fine in city and on freeway, or any hills anywhere around town. Any suggestions as to where I should start my research? Im not wanting to have to tear everything apart yet. Hoping someone may have some input as to where to at least start my search. Thank you In advance.

I'd start with a Throttle position sensor for the idle issue..

But I'm thinking this is something related to fuel delivery... Maybe?

I was thinking same on both, tps is first on list to actually replace, just cause. Its sitting pretty high on miles, and I have a feeling its the same one since factory. On fuel delivery, I'm not totally sold, just due to the fact it functions fine when daily driving, and never bogs down even after hours of straight driving. RE trips to coast, or central oregon. I drove it during snow storm for hours with no issues, up and down hills. It seems to only do it upon steeper incline in 4wd. Im also wondering if maybe pcv is shot, but not certain myself if that would cause this in only 4wd, I would think if that were the case, it'd be constant, 2 or 4wd. Im just stumped...

Back