• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IMPORTANT TO GRAND CHEROKEE OWNERS

Moving to Other Tech.

So this is not an issue for any people i guess? and on the links link it says 3 million vehicles could be affected so that brings concern to me.

So this is not an issue for any people i guess? and on the links link it says 3 million vehicles could be affected so that brings concern to me.

Thank you for posting up the information, I'm sure some ZJ/WJ owners will take it under advisement.

From the USATOAY Article:
Even in opening the probe, NHTSA says post-crash fires involving the 3.04 million 1993 to 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees are insufficient to issue a recall. It said a preliminary search of its complaints database did not show the vehicles were over-represented for fires in crashes.

This tells me that this group that brought the investigation to the NHTSA, is simply out to make a name for itself, ala Ralf Nader.

Also, your line on the link is miss-representive of the issue.

The safety group had petitioned for the probe, alleging that the placement of the gas tanks, behind the rear axle and below the bumper, makes them prone to fires in crashes.

Did you know that every single XJ ever built is like that?

Last edited:
From the USATOAY Article:

This tells me that this group that brought the investigation to the NHTSA, is simply out to make a name for itself, ala Ralf Nader.

Also, your line on the link is miss-representive of the issue.

I did not, guess i learn something new everyday, but if everyone knew of this problem why didn't Chrysler fix it?

IIRC the the group is the Center for Auto Safety, which I think my have been tied to Nader at some point, I do think it's interesting that they have been conserned about the Grand Cherokee's tank location since 1992...For curiousity's sake, anybody remember how early in that year Chrysler started selling the trucks?

As well as the vast majority of RWD passenger cars, vans, and what we now calle SUV's from basiclly the Great Depression though the late 90's/mid 00's IIRC:gee:

I did not, guess i learn something new everyday, but if everyone knew of this problem why didn't Chrysler fix it?

The incidents involving these fires that I have read of usually also involved a severe rear end collision at a pretty good speed (usually at or near speed limit for that road, if not faster) into a GC that was at best moving slowly in traffic well below the limit if not completely stopped by a vehicle being driven by a "motorist" (and I use that term loosely) who wasn't paying attention to what was going on ahead of them while driving a larger, heavier vehicle.

Last edited:
Back