• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Impact Driver

Milwaukee fuel is just a line of tools with brushless motors. There are both m18 and m12 models. Have to be more specific with a model number fo actually compare. They have the smaller hex drive m18 fuels that are in that range. But they have m18s fuels that go up to 1100 or so as well.

Yesterday was the day to get the big Milwaukee M18 FUEL 1/2" impact. You could get the M18 FUEL 1/2" High Torque Impact with two of the 5.0 batteries, and charger for $429 plus your choice of free (bare tool) M18 4 1/2" angle grinder, or M18 grease gun, and a 12% rebate at Rual King. Makes it just under $378 for both tools before tax!

So, all the M18 units can use the same battery packs, correct?

Yesterday was the day to get the big Milwaukee M18 FUEL 1/2" impact. You could get the M18 FUEL 1/2" High Torque Impact with two of the 5.0 batteries, and charger for $429 plus your choice of free (bare tool) M18 4 1/2" angle grinder, or M18 grease gun, and a 12% rebate at Rual King. Makes it just under $378 for both tools before tax!

well heck. I would have done that without thinking lol

Anyone have any experience with the new 20v Dewalt XR 1/2in impact? I like my 1/4 impact and drill driver set that I just got (work bought it for me) but now im looking to get a bigger impact... since I already have batteries I was leaning towards the Dewalt but I have no knowledge on it...
Can anyone help? I used to the have the snap on 1/2in impact but I sold it to bro... It did every job I needed it to but since Im not a mechanic anymore I didnt really use it as much.

2nd this impact. I have the same one for the past 9 months. Completely took apart an XJ lifted 7 years ago (antiseaze was used though) without any sweat. I barely ever break out a breaker bar or rachet anymore. For the price you cant beat it in my opinion.

I also picked up the Craftsman last summer, mainly because I have a cordless drill that uses the same battery packs. I was rebuilding the deck on our JD front mount mower and needed something out where I had no power. It blew through all of the rusted nuts and bolts without any problems. It is now part of my desert tool kit.

I ended up getting a Milwaukee M18. I looked at the Fuel, but felt that the M18 would be fine for what I need it for. Think I got a good deal. It was on sale with the charger, one battery, and the carrying case for $99.

This one advertises 1500 in lbs of torque.

When I was holding the box reading it, some random guy walked up and said "that's one hell of a driver" and just walked off.

So I got it....

Where did you find this?

I've had this Dewalt for many years http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-T...ordless+impact+wrench&refinements=p_89:DEWALT

300 ft/lbs is plenty for most things, but if the battery isn't fully charged, the torque drops off quickly. And in my experience with this tool and various Makita impact drivers, when the battery is getting low, they still make just as much noise as when fully charged, but just don't do the job, so it's hard to quickly tell if the battery you've got in there is going to work. At least the Makita are li-ion so they can be charged at any time.

I'm phasing out my ni-cad stuff, so I bought this Dewalt http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF880...ordless+impact+wrench&refinements=p_89:DEWALT
Amazon had it on a lightning deal for $200, with two 4.0 Ah batteries and charger. Only 150 ft/lbs, but should be good for most jobs, much smaller and lighter than the old one.

And last night I found and ordered this one http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF899...ordless+impact+wrench&refinements=p_89:DEWALT

700/1200 ft/lbs should do any job I'm faced with. Hopefully these new ones will be as durable as the old one.

The new one with the brushless motors? It specs out similar to the M18 FUEL so I'd say it's on par as far as power wise. Now with the Milwaukee's I can't say, but a Dewault rep told me the only differance in the Dewault 18v line and the 20v line is the lithium batteries. They they actually run at the same working voltage. That being said I've got a 7-8 year old dewault 18v XRP 3/8 hammer drill, and it's still going strong. My only reason for going over to Milwaukee is the fact I seem to find better deals on their tools over the Dewault. That and the fact I had my heart set on the M18 FUEL impact long before Dewault stepped up, and offered a comparable tool. In fact I didn't even notice Dewault came out with a "Brushless" series until the day after I bought my Milwaukee impact. Now if my Dewault XRP batteries where compatable with the new XR brushless tools I'd have probably taken the Milwaukee back, and went with the Dewault just because I've already got two batteries, and the hammer drill.

Yeah, brushless. All the 20v tools are actually 18v, the batteries hit 20v at max charge, but provide 18 under load. Same with the 12v stuff, it's actually 10.8v. I bought a Makita 10.8v kit, then a 12v, all batteries, tools, chargers are the same except for labeling.

Dewalt is supposedly coming out with an adapter to use the li-ion batteries in the older ni-cad tools. Was originally scheduled for October, latest word on their website now is January. I kinda doubt they would do an adapter to go the other way, as they probably would like to phase out ni-cad eventually.

http://www.coptool.com/cordless-12-impact-wrenches-high-torque-ingersoll-milwaukee-dewalt-makita/

I know they aren't impact drivers but since we started talking about impact wrenches instead here is some good info on the bigger named brands.

It makes me happy haven't bought the IR or Milwaukee yet (those were the two I was torn between) because I already have a charger and batteries for my makita drill and driver and they didn't offer a high torque impact wrench when I was looking in the beginning but now they do.

That makita looks huge. I did Milwaukee as you can get batteries for cheap at their repair centers. They sponsor Habitat for Humanity and the tools are returned and sold at a discount along with batteries. It's hit and miss on repair centers, San Diego one usually has stuff, Vegas store didn't.

my milwaukee fuel 1/2" impact (their biggest one) has changed my life. I can have a front axle fully disassembled in like 30 minutes down, including pulling the carrier, tires, steering . Its priceless on the time savings, and the trail repairs are worth hater weight in gold.

Last edited:
1497615872fe9b4cfbc33a5b3e544a17.jpg

740 ft lbs forward and 1,180 reverse. Gonna test it out this weekend I hope!

Back