• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm looking for JJacobs... I have AMC V-8 XJ questions

IdahoEagle

NAXJA Forum User
Just as the title suggests... Does anyone know how I can get in touch with him? I'm seriously considering putting an AMC 360, 380 (stroked 360) or 401 in my 86 2 door XJ and need information that mainly he knows... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's not that the entire engine bay is smaller, it's that the rear firewall lacks the deeper notch for the longer 4.O block and slightly different radiator support bracketry to set the radiator closer to the V6 - which as you likely already know - is only bolted on.

I don't recall his MJ needing the 4.0 firewall for the block to fit.

I think if you yell his name loud enough at any mustang it will tell you where he is.

Last edited:
The early (AMC) XJs had comparably weak unibodys until chrysler did their thing to them... wonder how much reinforcement an 86 would need?

Yeah, prior to '93, the XJ unibody is like origami. If you're gonna be heavy on the throttle much...... I'd get some plating work done on it.

DSCF3888.jpg

My first XJ was this '84. In this photo, I couldn't get out. All 4 doors were bound shut. Had to really put my shoulder into the door to get it open.

Scan0002_zps6c8d3501.jpg

Last edited:
I know the earlier XJs need extra frame plating stock. This one is going to get all of the above, bumper to bumper plating with a long arm and good sliders. So that part won't be an issue any longer...

I know the earlier XJs need extra frame plating stock. This one is going to get all of the above, bumper to bumper plating with a long arm and good sliders. So that part won't be an issue any longer...
I wish it was that easy...

Hey guys. Got pinged by Jeff about some oversized motor shenanigans. It was a brute force and dumb luck kind of install. I put a longblock where it looked 'right' then when it was time to dress the thing the power steering pulley cleared the stock fan by 1/2 inch and the ps reservoir cleared the hood by about as much.
The firewall took some bfh massaging to clear the valve covers. The frame rails I plated with....1/8 I think? Hung tabs on them, made block plates, some tube and YJ spring bushings.

Hope that helps!

i wish i could find all the frame plating pics i had of that thing... was nice work

Thanks, it turned out decent, I remember it going easier than planned. Weld, hammer, weld, hammer. The heat seemed to help it go into shape a lot better.
If I was going to do it again I'd probably not get hung up on the factory flimsy crap and hang a bunch of tube instead. Maybe even use motor plate and mid plate.. hmmm.....

edit: don't remember if this had been posted here before but that rig is alive and well in Idaho, flat black and back to 4x4 duty. My buddy Greg that helped a ton with the swap and always went to the track with me has it now. His wife found it on Craigslist in Loveland.. from Idaho.. Their first date started with going to Bandimere to see it run, so that's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back