• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm done with Doug Thorley headers

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
Doug Thorley offers a very nice header. However, their support is complete and utter crap.

Previously I had problems with their header. First the original one I purchased years ago cracked. Keep in mind it had a life time warranty. The problem was identified and they redesigned their header. Fine. However, to get the "upgraded" header I had to pay an extra $200 (shipping + header "upgrade"). I was less then pleased with this and when I voiced my opinion I was told I had an "attitude". I paid it any how and went about. Fast forward and the header flange was warped. I sent it back and after a month and a half I called about it. They gave some lame excuse and I was again I was told that I have an "attitude".

So now, in current time I identify some issues with their header to exhaust adapter. The header has a 2.5" output. It took some time talking to their tech support that it was in fact 2.5" when they said it was 2.75". What ever. Now to the adapter. First the doughnut gasket necks down to 2.25"... but then the header to exhaust adapter necks down to 2.125". 2.15" down to 2.125".. why even bother having a header at that?

I call them to fix the issue. They were so confused I didn't know where to begin. I tried best I could to describe what I needed to have a true 2.5" exhaust. While on hold I was some how connected with another customer. He had tried to order a mustang header and I was trying to order parts for a Jeep header.. well you can only imagine the confusion of that conversation before we both realized we had been connected to each other. So, I though they knew what they were doing an I thought I ordered a 2.5" flat flange adapter and 2.5" gasket. A week later i get it. I have the 2.5" flat gasket but an adapter for a 2.5" doughnut gasket. They don't work together. Call them up again and they recognize the problem and say the correct gasket is in the mail. Two weeks late I still don't have a correct setup. I call them and they have no recollection of the previous conversation nor sending anything out. In fact they said they sent the correct gasket out and gave me a tracking number, which was for the previous delivery. They offer no solution and tell me that my local exhaust show should have the correct flat flange adapter.

I have spent $1000 on their header (header + warranty upgrade + new adapter and gasket + shipping), not including a coating that will actually last and I still don't have a true 2.5" output to the exhaust pipe. Nice, Thorley. I'm sure in their minds I still have some sort of "attitude" problem.

Now I have a 5.2L ZJ. They are the only company that offers a header for that vehicle. I will not be paying $800 for their shit support.

BTW, I am not the only customer with issues that has been told has an "attitude"

And yet ANOTHER review that keeps me from buying ZJ headers..

They wont be seeing any of "My Attitude", Nor' Money..

Now I have a 5.2L ZJ. They are the only company that offers a header for that vehicle. I will not be paying $800 for their shit support.

You could try contacting Nick Ianuzzi, the owner of Kolak Performance & Offroad. He's based in Phoenix AZ and has a very good reputation for customer service.

[email protected]

I know who Nick is. And he sells Thorley headers. I purchased the one on my XJ from him.

And yet ANOTHER review that keeps me from buying ZJ headers..
I do wish there was another company that currently makes headers for the ZJ. Those crushed down pipes are such pos.

Wow man. That sucks. :soapbox: A 1000 bucks can get another stroker.. Might as well use the stock 91-99 HO header from a junkyard. You lost a grand, now you have a grand. :spin1: ;)

This week I finally bought the Clifford 57-2000(single header with 2.5" collector w/ 3-bolt hole flange). It has the Jet Hot coating. I'll clean up the welds some. It's been sitting unused in an attic for 13 years. I'll have MBS fab the 2.5" pipe to the 2.5" Borla.
e3ejeguj.jpg
juvu6a9a.jpg

Yeah well his drunk EX-wife got the company some time ago and that, well explains alot...

This week I finally bought the Clifford 57-2000(single header with 2.5" collector w/ 3-bolt hole flange). It has the Jet Hot coating. I'll clean up the welds some. It's been sitting unused in an attic for 13 years. I'll have MBS fab the 2.5" pipe to the 2.5" Borla.
e3ejeguj.jpg
juvu6a9a.jpg

That collector looks horrible! :scared:

Not sure how it's related to Talyn's situation though?

Wow man. That sucks. :soapbox: A 1000 bucks can get another stroker.. Might as well use the stock 91-99 HO header from a junkyard. You lost a grand, now you have a grand. :spin1: ;)

$1000 for a stroker like mine? lol. I don't think so.

Making a stroker + SC breath through a stock manifold (its not a header) is a really bad idea.

Yeah well his drunk EX-wife got the company some time ago and that, well explains alot...

Thorley?

e3ejeguj.jpg

I lost a stroker I believe, due to a design kinda like this. It was there newer header that has the O2 ports like this one. I had my ECU O2 in the front port like shown and the Wideband in the downpipe. Well the wideband was showing good A/F 12.5ish throughout a good 10-15sec pull across the back lakebed at KOH 2012. Well we were about to hit 4th and lost 2 pistons. They leaned out horribly it appeared. Only thing we can contribute it to is the O2 placements and not seeing that it was likely running rich in maybe front bank and the rear getting leaned out to much and then loosing 5 & 6.

I had the same engine built and have been running that engine for 2 yrs now with more abuse and demand then the one we lost. Only changes for the first year was header and O2 placement. Then last yr we did smaller injectors and upped FP to 55psi.

SO I advise everyone I know to stay away from this style header OR do your ECU O2 in the downpipe.

Re: Re: I'm done with Doug Thorley headers

I lost a stroker I believe, due to a design kinda like this. It was there newer header that has the O2 ports like this one. I had my ECU O2 in the front port like shown and the Wideband in the downpipe. Well the wideband was showing good A/F 12.5ish throughout a good 10-15sec pull across the back lakebed at KOH 2012. Well we were about to hit 4th and lost 2 pistons. They leaned out horribly it appeared. Only thing we can contribute it to is the O2 placements and not seeing that it was likely running rich in maybe front bank and the rear getting leaned out to much and then loosing 5 & 6.

I had the same engine built and have been running that engine for 2 yrs now with more abuse and demand then the one we lost. Only changes for the first year was header and O2 placement. Then last yr we did smaller injectors and upped FP to 55psi.

SO I advise everyone I know to stay away from this style header OR do your ECU O2 in the downpipe.
If you PCM isn't designed for two banks it need to see all cylinders. Also typically the rear cylinders maybe slightly leaner.

Talyn, consider making a header? Mock it and get it TIG'ed if you don't have the equipment.

Back