• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm at 8 and wanna go bigger

I ran 8 inches of lift with 35s then lowered it to 6.5 inches of lift and went with 37s. Drop brackets with both lifts. The ride is SOOO much smoother being lower. The COG is also a HUGE plus. I am thinking about lowering it slightly more and taking the TJ flares off the front. I am also thinking about ditching my 15x10s w/ 4" backspacing for some 15x10s w/ 2.5" backspacing to be a little more stable.
Below is how it sits now. Maybe a half inch lower rear with all the wheeling

Just my cents. :farmer:

5-3.jpg

2572674770063093430FPLuGp_fs.jpg

passxj said:
Almost all of these replies are from people repeating what they've heard. How many have actually had an XJ at 8" lift with 35's? Anyway....That's beside the point.

Your lift isn't too bad. 7.5" is OK for 35's depending on how much you want to cut it up. What you really need to make it more fun and safe are gears. Just for perspective, My xj with 35's was up to 8.5" lift with short arms. It's my fourth XJ and I bought it that way. It now sits at 7" in front and 6" out back with long arms. I wish I had 5.13's at least. The 4.56's aren't low enough. 4.10's won't satisfy. I want a new front end for deeper gears or shorter tires.

You can't deny COG issues.

lancey3 said:
You can't deny COG issues.

When did I say anything about that?

I've been places where I've about needed a surgeon to remove my pants and COG hasn't hurt me yet. I'm kinda woosy and not that experienced I guess.

I also think that most guys don't know how tall their rig really is. Go to the FAQ section and get under there and measure it the dirty way. I bet if BOX measured his he would find it to be more like 7.5" or 8". Watch the picture threads. No way all those 5" lifted Jeeps are all the same height.:roll:

passxj said:
I've been places where I've about needed a surgeon to remove my pants and COG hasn't hurt me yet. I'm kinda woosy and not that experienced I guess.
Maybe the surgeon wouldn't have been required if your COG wasn't so high. When I went to Moab, I took off my roof rack, stored the tire inside and tried to remove any weight I could. After the week, all I wanted to do was buy some anti-rock sway bars and lower my rig an inch.

You didn't get a little tippy on Moab Rim or rocker knocker?

So far you've defended why having a tall rig isn't all that bad...but you haven't made a case for why it's good to be that high...aside from personal preference in the looks dept.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Maybe the surgeon wouldn't have been required if your COG wasn't so high. When I went to Moab, I took off my roof rack, stored the tire inside and tried to remove any weight I could. After the week, all I wanted to do was buy some anti-rock sway bars and lower my rig an inch.

You didn't get a little tippy on Moab Rim or rocker knocker?

So far you've defended why having a tall rig isn't all that bad...but you haven't made a case for why it's good to be that high...aside from personal preference in the looks dept.

-----Matt-----

I've been lowering mine since I got it. I just get irritated when people throw out absolutes like " eight inches is too high for 35's " There are a lot of guys that run that very combo. I know alot of reasons why it's too high. Steering, trackbar, and driveshaft angles for example.(not to mention more expensive) There are also times when tall is good...breakover, approach, and departure angles to name a couple.

I think we can agree that intrepidxj's rig is quite capable. His xj sits quite low. I've only run Pritchett with him and he got hung up on his rear bumper on the rock pile because of his departure angle. I didn't even attempt rock pile BTW. I'm not that experienced. It was my first Moab run ever.

Why do guys want carbon copies of their ideal setup all around them? Do what YOU want. Do your research. Try things out. I'm looking at lowering my front end about another inch for example....or I may raise the rear and go to 37's....If I start all over with a different XJ, I may go with 33's or 32's and keep it low and simple.:dunno:

passxj said:
Why do guys want carbon copies of their ideal setup all around them? Do what YOU want.
I don't think that's why people are saying 8" is too much. At least for me, when I read the original post, I got an overwhelming impression that he was a newbie in every sense. To me that means he may not understand the downsides, and probably not the real advantages (like the ones you pointed out) either.

For that reason, I'll try to talk people out of a lift that high. Until they can address the issues (long arms, steering, driveline angles, etc.), staying low is a good thing.

If you're cool with off-camber situations in a rig that tall, more power to you, but I watched enough rigs roll in Moab and nearly went there myself to want to keep my COG as low as humanly possible. Break over/departure/approach angles aren't really a big concern for me; I've got lots or armor, rocker replacements and really high clearence bumpers front and back, and never had a problem.

-----Matt-----

tbburg said:
And I think any rig with 8" of lift should be running about 39" tires with no fenders.(Aren't personal opinions great?)

I just happen to share this one. :)

I do still have a reasonable about of fender left though.

vetteboy said:
I just happen to share this one. :)
X2

we should make a poll.

passxj said:
When did I say anything about that?

I also think that most guys don't know how tall their rig really is. Go to the FAQ section and get under there and measure it the dirty way. I bet if BOX measured his he would find it to be more like 7.5" or 8". Watch the picture threads. No way all those 5" lifted Jeeps are all the same height.:roll:

Maybe my jeeps suspension is levatating without my knowledge?
I measured the height and width of the whole jeep a few months ago. If I remember correctly the highest part was in the rear, which has come down a little. Was around 72 inches high and around 74 inches wide.

BOX said:
Maybe my jeeps suspension is levatating without my knowledge?
I measured the height and width of the whole jeep a few months ago. If I remember correctly the highest part was in the rear, which has come down a little. Was around 72 inches high and around 74 inches wide.

Measure like this.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912893

If you don't have flares anymore, This is really the best way to do it. It takes out factors like tire size and inflation pressures etc.

Is this off topic?:D

I have 6.5" RockKrawler coils, and 35x14.5 Boggers. I'm running 15x10 Outlaw wheels with 3.75" backspacing on stock D30 and a 8.8 and my Jeep looks super low and wide. I love it, tall and narrow is the worst way to go, and I can't image any need to go higher than 8".

I have no front fenders, but with my current 6.5" long arm set up, I could fit big 36s or small 37s without a problem.

8" of lift with full widths and coil overs is a different ball game.
Once you get this far, you stop measuring "Lift" and you start
fine tuning ride height.

Back