• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch wiring

89CherokeePioneer

NAXJA Forum User
89 Cherokee 4.0 AW4, 231

I want to setup relay's for a couple of the dash accessories. I do NOT like the way the blower motor affects the dash voltage and the IP lights. The cigarette lighter also dims them a touch too..

Does anyone have a ignition switch wiring diagram for the 89 Cherokee?

My plan, or atleast one. Set it up so that when I flip the key over to run, the ignition switch triggers a relay which is wired to the positive lead on the starter relay, then wired to the climate control panel. Should take a load off the ignition switch no? Seem's like these share a common source of power.

Most any yellow wire is switched hot, when the ignition switch is in the run position.

I sent you a PM.

I was thinking of the easiest spot to pick up a switched power source to operate the relay. Under the dash can get kind of tight to work in and I'm alway a little afraid of doing more harm than good with my big hands (knocking something loose).
The ignition switch is a stack of ( I think) four switches. The heater (HVAC), blower, wipers and some other stuff runs of that section of switch. It's a known sore spot. Brown wire from the ignition switch to the fuse block, to various fuses and the wiper motor circuit breaker.
I've been working on XJ's for 20 years and still haven't found all the grounds. They are another common sore spot and are often the problem when it appears to be the supply circuit.

Last edited:
81ozmnl.png

71ehdzo.png

6qa60di.png

Many of the relays are only 4 pole and don't have the 87A pole.

My suggestion:rolleyes:

7x49yyb.jpg

Back