• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch am I stupid?

xzalt

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 95/np231/4.0
from reading some threads I've determined that my ignition switch is going out. So I went to the store and picked up a switch for my application.

here is the switch I picked up at the store
dsc00356.jpg

and while it looks like the picture in the manual, I can't seem to find anything that looks like it under the dash or on the SC.

I thought that this was my switch
dsc00354.jpg

but it looks nothing like the one I was given at the store.

I've also got an alarm so I wondered if that had anything to do with it.
dsc00355.jpg

or was I just given the wrong part? or looking in the wrong place?

I feel pretty inept currently. thanks

KS6557.jpg
The new parts looks like the one in my 89 which used the GM, looks like your may be a Mopar Wheel not the GM.

Your should look like this.

Last edited:
I think I found the offending part, its the wiring harness wires that are corroded. any good methods to clean up corroded wiring within a harness. sorry the pic is blurry.
dsc00357.jpg

I looks more to me that your wires are getting to hot... Also the male end of the harness appears to have taken some heat too... Someone else on here is having a simular thing happen too.

There is no quick easy cure It has gotten hot and lost it's tension.

A good cleaning will help but your going to have to replace that connector and switch

Which wires in the connector should I shortcut to check if the switch is faulty?
Neither in P nor in N I can start the engine.

with Haynes in hand i checked the NSS terminals for continuity and both in P and N the continuity exists. Concerning the ignition switch
in ON position there is tension(+) on wires 1,2,3,4,6 (counting from the top on the connector) after turning the key into START :1,4,6,7. what should I check next?

album_thumbnail.php

Last edited:
belfer said:
with Haynes in hand i checked the NSS terminals for continuity and both in P and N the continuity exists. Concerning the ignition switch
in ON position there is tension(+) on wires 1,2,3,4,6 (counting from the top on the connector) after turning the key into START :1,4,6,7. what should I check next?

album_thumbnail.php
What year xj? What is your problem?

It's 96' xj with the same switch as in the pic above. The problem: The starter doesn't react when I turn the key into start. However, it works properly when connected directly to the battery.

I'd suspect the starter relay switch before the ignition switch. I believe on the later models it's a Bosch part, I know on my 87 it's a weird dealer only unit. Should be under the hood somewhere near your PDC. I know that's vague, but I'm not too familiar with the later models.

Is the starter relay something that could work only part of the time? my '87 takes two to five tries to engage the starter instead of just click. or is this a worn out ignition switch?

streetpirate said:
Is the starter relay something that could work only part of the time? my '87 takes two to five tries to engage the starter instead of just click. or is this a worn out ignition switch?
A little more detail is needed. What happens? no click, click, or grinding noise?

Back