• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idler Pulley Keeps Going.....

195K and I'm still running the factory idler pulley on my '90. I understand later models use a plastic wheel and import bearing.

Again, belt tension is critical. Frankly, you only need enough to keep the belt on the pulleys and not slipping. Some have recommended tightening the water pump adjuster until it seems firm enough, driving, and then LOOSENING it until belt squeal. Give it two turns tighter and quit.

I'm not recommending it, but the amount of tension a spring loaded pulley has is pretty light - and those of us with 4.0's seem to crank the belt way too tight.

195K and I'm still running the factory idler pulley on my '90. I understand later models use a plastic wheel and import bearing.

Again, belt tension is critical. Frankly, you only need enough to keep the belt on the pulleys and not slipping. Some have recommended tightening the water pump adjuster until it seems firm enough, driving, and then LOOSENING it until belt squeal. Give it two turns tighter and quit.

I'm not recommending it, but the amount of tension a spring loaded pulley has is pretty light - and those of us with 4.0's seem to crank the belt way too tight.

No matter how much I mess with it, it never seems to effect it enough for me to be able to tell, so I will ask someone else. Screwing in the tensioner will tighten or loosen the belt?

Unless I dont know my own strength, then i'm not putting an abnormal amount of tension on the bolt as i'm tightening it. The bearing was greased with motor oil before it was put on and spun like a brand new bearing should. Now it wobbles and will soon break.

Motor oil will be slung off in under a minute.

Grease means grease.

Very much X2 - the bearing should be a sealed prelubricated one. Motor oil means nothing in this application any more than using motor oil on front spindle bearings. :scared:

OK. I used to sell replacement bearings only, I was concerned some dude just handed you something he thought might work, instead of what should work. I always seemed to get the customer on the returned part . . .

Lot's of replacement pulleys and bearings seem to be lower quality, what brands have you been getting?

Back