• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idler Bearing problem. Please Help! '98 XJ 4.0L w/AC

That is correct, it is a pressed fit. You need to press it off the bearing shaft. That brings up a good point. When installing the new bearing care must be taken to make sure you press everything correctly and do not put stress on the bearings internals. This of course only applies to the new bearing when you're pressing everything together.

When you press the bearing into the bracket you must press on the outer race of the bearing. When you press the fan clutch mounting hub to the bearing shaft you must support the shaft of the bearing and not the bracket.

Another thing to mention, when I pressed the old bearing out it did not come out totally clean. The hole in the bracket the bearing goes into was scored a bit. This appears to be because it is a really tight press. When I pressed the new bearing in I used Lock-tite bearing retaining compound. I know this stuff works pretty well so I didn't worry about the bearing moving once pressed in.

B

I finally got around to taking some pictures of my bracket. Unfortunately I'm not sure if they'll do much good as you cannot see the bearing with the hub pressed on the shaft.

P7261407.jpg

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/Bloose2/Photos from the Droid/

Back