• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle Air Control Valve Purchase

Ecomike said:
OBD-II does not always set codes for a bad TPS that is causing odd, random idle speed issues. The TPS is a wear part, carbon brush variable resistor pot.
Ok, I guess that makes sense?.. but nothing happens while driving. Only idle. And even then, it's sporadic. If I had a failing TPS, I'm sure I would be experiencing larger issues.

Regarding the rest of Ecomike's post, I feel that we have gone into the realm of way too much information. We're seemingly !!!1

Your loosing me and this thread has gotten a bit off topic. So lets keep this simple. I have a stalling issue which can be caused by any multitude of possibilities. For the time being, it is showing signs that the IAC valve is malfunctioning. And the initial post asked where can one find a suitable replacement? Happydog supplied the best alternative to a generic autoparts store's inventory (unless anyone else would like to chime in).

When the money presents itself, I shall hope that the replacement IAC solves the problem. If it does not, well, then I shall revisit this and request additional information. Thank you for your assistance.

When the money presents itself, I shall hope that the replacement IAC solves the problem. If it does not, well, then I shall revisit this and request additional information. Thank you for your assistance.

Let us know when the replacement doesn't work.

I got mine from NAPA. They are near my work and have quality parts, so I bought mine there. Took care of the problem.

Good Luck!

"If I had a failing TPS, I'm sure I would be experiencing larger issues"

Not true. With a jeep or a TPS that is a bad thing to be sure of. There is a good reason that off roaders carry a spare TPS and CPS when they get out in the boonies.

By the way, don't ever let the TPS get wet, they turn into gremlins if they get wet just like mogwai, LOL.

Good luck.

but nothing happens while driving. Only idle. And even then, it's sporadic. If I had a failing TPS, I'm sure I would be experiencing larger issues.

I hate to break it to ya, but your symptoms mirror almost exactly the bad TPS I experienced a few years ago, and persisted for a while until I got a TPS that was happy in my '96. We have four XJs, so I read the TPS in each of the other three to come up with an average reading of closed and open throttle, and used an analog VOM to read the sweep as the throttle went from idle to wide open (looking for drop-outs, which I found in the original piece). I got a bunch from the yard, read them all, and installed the one that most closely matched the average. Job done. When it first started acting up, I was lucky that it threw a code. Over the following year as I experimented with some new, some used, it misbehaved in a manner that you've described, but never threw another CEL.

You're right thinking that if you had a faulty TPS that you'd be experiencing other issues. But only a couple of my 'previously loved' would cause larger issues. Most didn't, just didn't 'feel' right. Two of them actually caused the tranny to not shift right, sometimes letting the torque converter to drop in and out of lock-up at highway speeds. Others, but not all, caused intermittent stalling or unintended acceleration while stopped in traffic.

Faulty TPS is my vote.

And Sometimes It's Just the IAC...

OP Here: With all the diagnosis and cross examinations, it ended up being the IAC. I do love the input though, they give me a greater understanding of possibilities.

So with all the other possibilities, I used the WERMOPAR.com site to purchase the IAC. Installed it and boy what a difference. The above site was also the best price I've found. Shipping for all sites was comparable, being high. But it is 2 day shipping via FedEx. Ordered the 19th, shipped the 20th, received the 22nd. Total cost including shipping was $95.20 at the time of this post. Shipping was $11.72. Other sites charged a bit less for the part but more for shipping (if you can believe that).

The XJ starts right up now with no more hesitation! The RPM's are much higher hitting 1100 at cold start and mellowing out to the 700 range (cold). I also feel a bit more power when driving from a standstill. Meaning, no more lag.

So, sometimes, despite the urge to want to diagnose the stalling issue as being that of any number of potential causes, sometimes it's just the IAC.

Back