• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas to add to a 3.5 RE lift?

deathxcore

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched this topic and surprisingly have not seen this question asked. I have a 3.5" Superflex Rubicon Express lift on my '97. This vehicle was used for towing before I bought it, so the leafs were a little saggy already. The AALs perked it up a little, but there is a definite difference in height on the back. According to the RE website, the rear AALs are only 2.5" anyway. I have a teeny bit of vibration at highway speed, so I was thinking of getting extended shackles anyway to angle the diff back up, maybe 1" net lift? I would like to go about 1" higher with the whole thing, but preserve a little of that stance with the front higher. I've heard it's more stable that way anyway. What are my options? I looked at the 1.5" budget boost from Rocky Road, but I've heard bad things about them. I think I wanna prolong the inevitable replacement of my leaf packs for now, so how can I do this cheap? Also, will I need to replace my front brake lines, shocks, or anything else extra that will cost more?

(Can't seem to get the picture on here)

Check rustysoffroad.com for some extended shackles and poly spacers for the front on the cheap. Your brake lines will probably be ok, maybe straighten the hard line but it depends if they have extended lines on or not. I used 1990 chevy 2wd 1500 truck brake hoses in the fronts on my 4.5 inch lift and they are plenty long and only $40 or so for a set.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
Check rustysoffroad.com for some extended shackles and poly spacers for the front on the cheap. Your brake lines will probably be ok, maybe straighten the hard line but it depends if they have extended lines on or not. I used 1990 chevy 2wd 1500 truck brake hoses in the fronts on my 4.5 inch lift and they are plenty long and only $40 or so for a set.

-Alex

You'll need long arms or drop brackets with this.

budget boosts go on first... you cant just stack differant suspension components on top of each other and expect to get anything positive
aim for like 5, you will need a new tracbar and control arm accomodations
rk 3-link long arm kit and taller coils + t&t trackbar and new re rear leafs + tnt shackle = win

Last edited:
Go look at whats in the RE 4.5" kit, vs the 3.5" kit.

Trackbar
UCA's
Shackles
transfer case drop?
brake lines (3.5 has front or rear, i forget which, but misses the other)
swaybar disco's?

basically fill in the blanks between the two and you're set, but you do want to start considering drop brackets or it will ride like a skateboard on a cobblestone street.

Well, crap. So it looks like this may not be as cheap as I thought. The 3.5 does come with new rear lines and instructs you to straighten the hard lines in front. Already have swaybar disco's, but they are horrible. The ones with that kit never stay tight and are probably my number 1 source of rattling, squeaking, etc on the whole rig. And, oddly enough, there are some who won't ride in what has already been called "a giant skateboard that rattles your teeth out". With that said, how much do you think I could spend to just boost a little?

I was thinking Rusty's .75" spacers in front and .75" shackles in back. Hopefully, that would be all. $125 give or take. The better angle from the new shackles might save me from a TC drop.

If this is going to cost more than a couple hundred, I may just do some engine mods instead. I am running BFG 30x9.5's and would like to get back a little power and gas mileage.

What would YOU do if this was your rig and you were as broke as I am?

How about just a pair of Rusty's .75" shackles? Better flex, better stance, no issues with the trackbar and all that garbage that comes from lifting the front more. Yes?

Back