• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for hidden kill switch?

Had one try to kill me the other morning on the way to work.
It lept across in front of me, and spun a ray of it's damn web into my eye (the good eye) and we went a few rounds... A jolly old 50 mph backroad slapfest while trying to see and juggle a hot cuppa joe.

My junk doesn't lock, so I keep the interior pretty well unappealing to a thief... If I was really motivated to have it not start, I'd pull the coil wire and/or fuel pump relay. If I was mean I'd leave large venemous snakes loose in there.

JMHO, but if someone has time and access, they'll find a hidden switch.

Some of you guys think WAY too much. I was gonna hide a switch wired to my ballast resistor for the fuel pump, duh.

I've thought of this as well. The first a hotwiring thief is looking is under the dash. With a little lack of luck the thief will hotwire the car BEFORE your hidden switches and circuits... I've thought of cutting the line and installing a switch to the fuel pump under the car, maybe having a switch sticking up under or behind the driver's seat, the wire runs about under there if I remember correctly.

On a buddy of mines 85 Mustang we just cut into the fuel pump wiring and ran it to the unused fog light switch. No lights, no fuel, no run.

WILDHORSE

Something else to think about. If a thief breaks in and tries to steal the XJ but it wont start and he flees, all the insurance company will usually pay is for vandalism. Which aint much usually. But if the thief gets the vehicle to start and move any amount before it shuts down then it is attempted theft and the insurance company pays more. Also the cops can hit him with theft charges. I think a company (Joacobs Electronics) makes just such a system.

Sarge

Amund2 said:
I've thought of this as well. The first a hotwiring thief is looking is under the dash. With a little lack of luck the thief will hotwire the car BEFORE your hidden switches and circuits... I've thought of cutting the line and installing a switch to the fuel pump under the car, maybe having a switch sticking up under or behind the driver's seat, the wire runs about under there if I remember correctly.

Not if none of the wiring is under the dash. mine comes in and is routed to the rear of the truck...play all you want under the dash, the starter relay has no power, and thus no starty.

Thanks for all the input

I 'm thinking along the same lines as TOZOVR. I'd rather the rig be immobilized.
I haven't really looked into it yet but I'm going to interupt power to the starter relay somewhere hard to detect. The fun part will be hiding a really small switch. I'd say where, but that would defeat the purpose;) .

-mike

Eagle said:
The neatest place for a kill switch I've heard of was a pushbutton switch that was mounted inside the cigar lighter receptacle. Know off the actual heater element and hollow out the lighter shell, and then plug the knob back in the hole.
My buddy wired up the brake pedal interlock to the cigarette lighter. In order to shift out of park, the lighter has to be pushed in. For added security, you could remove the lighter and take it with you. Sure, a thief could bypass it, but it would take a while to figure it out.

giranger said:
I've got one on my 96 with overhead console. What I did was wire a switch inside the sunglass holder. When I close the "door" it shuts off power to the starter by itself. All I have to do to turn on the XJ is get my sunglasses out and "bump" the switch at the same time. Works great and no way to see it.

Ya but if ther jackin your ride why would they not jack you shades first and steel you rig looking cool????

something to think about

My fuel pump relay is wired to the seat belt warning harness. no belt, no drive. How many thieves actually use the seatbelt BEFORE they try and start the truck, hmm?

Back