• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IAT Sensor Relocation Mod

fallacist

NAXJA Forum User
I read this write up:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/IAT_sensor.html

And it's something I never heard of before. The guy claims great gains for the price (super cheap) and effort (minimal):

"Did this modification improve performance?
Definitely. Even after correcting my times for elevation, vehicle weight, barometric pressure, ambient temp. and humidity, acceleration at WOT from 30-50mph in 4th gear (26.6mph/1000rpm) improved from 7.7 to 7.5secs , 40-60mph from 8.0secs to 7.7secs, 50-70mph from 8.3secs to 8.0secs, 60-80mph from 8.8secs to 8.4secs, and 70-90 from 9.7secs to 9.2secs.
This translates into a gain in rear wheel torque of 4lbft at 1500rpm, 6lbft at 2000rpm, 7lbft at 2500rpm and 7lbft at 3000rpm.
Those are solid gains for such a cheap mod.

Was there any change in fuel consumption ?
No. Long term testing didn’t show any tangible change in gas mileage. This indicates that part-throttle fuelling is not affected by this modification.

Verdict ?
Probably the best bang-per-buck performance mod for this engine, and there’s no downside. Highly recommended."

Somewhere else I read that this is counterproductive if you've installed bigger injectors due to air/fuel. I have a 01 that I have neon injectors installed in. Should I still do this mod?

I'm the author of that article. Results will vary from one model to another depending on the stock tune but relocating the IAT sensor to an area that sees ambient air is never a bad thing in a N/A engine. Closed loop fuel economy will be unaffected 'cause the O2 sensors will maintain a 14.7:1 A/F ratio, but the engine may run slightly richer at WOT. That, combined with slightly more ignition advance, may result in a small power gain.

THanks for that write up, I was looking through quite a bunch of them last night!

Ok that makes a bit more sense: the upgraded injectors would [possibly?] make the engine run richer, and moving the IAT sensor might make it run too rich? Which would do what- burn more fuel? And ignition advance- is that mandatory to make this mod work?

Is there any reason I shouldn't relocate the sensor and call it a day?

did this on my jeep a couple months ago. no noticeable gain in economy, not much noticed in power, but i agree it is better to have it in the cool plastic airbox than the hot manifold...

I do it to all of mine.

And since I have Renix stuff, I put a vacuum fitting in the intake manifold where the IAT used to be. I run a line from there to the MAP sensor. Remove the throttle body and tap the original vacuum hole 1/8 NPT and screw a plug into it.

I do it to all of mine.

And since I have Renix stuff, I put a vacuum fitting in the intake manifold where the IAT used to be. I run a line from there to the MAP sensor. Remove the throttle body and tap the original vacuum hole 1/8 NPT and screw a plug into it.

One could also just cap the TB, correct?

One could also just cap the TB, correct?
Yeah, the Renix is a recessed oblong hole in the side of the TB. A rubber plug goes over the vacuum line and then plugs into the TB. So there is actually nothing to cap.

Couldn't remember if was two holes or one oblong with two ports (one being a dead end) ... haven't had a stock TB for a while now.

Might look into the IAT relocation though ... Although I'm hesitant to toy with my Renix IAT, can't seem to find a replacement.

Back