• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think I fixed my Junk, I think.

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to all that helped me out backchannel.

It looks like I had a double ignition problem and a the jeep was running warm again. The nototrious CPS of course reared it's ugly head. The jeep was cutting out, backfiring and then stalled out. Which lead to hard to starts to evenually no start at all. I replaced the CPS with a Genuinne Chrysler CPS and I was able to get it started.

The story doesn't end there, it was starting but didn't iddle very well, it wasn't miss firing badly, just enough to hear it wasn't right. Then it would just stall out after about 2 minutes. So I went through, checking the distributer, wires, camshaft PS, coil and I found nothing. So since I had an extra coil, I thought I would give it a try. WALLLA, iddle miss went away and it didn't stall out and also keep it's operating tempature in my driveway with the AC on. I had it running for about 20-30 minutes.

Now part two, my jeep failed me at Friant Dam when I was on the way to Red/Coyote Lake, CA a few weeks back. The temps were over 110 outside and it was fully loaded with camping gear and such. My ignition trouble started when my engine temps were geting over 210, around the 220 reange, but definitely not in the red. This surprised me, since I just replaced the RAD, hoses, Stat, and performed an extreme good flush just before my emisions test. That was only about two months ago and my temps during the test only peaked as high as 210 and normally stayed around 190 around town and freeway.

I know I don't have record Temps in Fresno anymore, and I hope they don't come back, but if they do, could the CPS/Coil problem have contributed to my overheating or should I look deeper into my cooling system?

It could be your alternator. As they get older and the brushes wear the output will drop if they get too hot. If the output drops too far it will screw with the fuel injection and sensors and the like, causing some of the symptoms you described.

Back