• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Saved The Life Of Another AW4 Today

yakinaked

NAXJA Forum User
So today my friend informed me that he had just bought some tranny fluid for his recently purchased XJ for a filter change. I told him I'd almost guarantee they gave him the wrong stuff. Sure enough - ATF+4.

Why is it that EVERY parts store I've ever asked (except for the dealerships) tell me that because my XJ is a Chrysler, I need the ATF+4? WRONG!!! Mercron/Dexron III people. I hope this post will save at least a couple more of you from putting ATF+4 in your transmissions. If you have an XJ with the AW4 tranny, PLEASE use Mercron/Dexron III. Thank you.

Amen to that. Just like every parts store says the OEM pressure cap is 13 psi instead of 16psi; obviously this probably isn't going to be quite as big of a deal but it shows the potential for inaccuracy at parts stores we rely on to provide the correct fluids/parts/etc for our jeeps.

because most stores think that the tranny in a Jeep is a Chrysler tranny, not knowing its a Toyota one (or Lexus?)
So its easier to assume.

Well, actually the Aisin Warner (AW) isn't Toyota, although it is used in some Toyota vehicles. It shouldn't be an assumption that it's Chrysler; I've gone to stores where the central parts/fluid database on the computer lists ATF+4 for the XJ. And I would hope that the people putting together these databases for hundreds, if not thousands of auto part stores (like all Checkers, Autozone, etc) along with the thousands of employees that work at those stores, would not rely on simple assumptions.

Yeah my neighbor last week was doing a fluid change on his aw4 and he asked me to help him get the dipstick tube out, when I asked for the tranny fluid shure enought it was Mopar atf4. So I asked him where he got it he said autozone "they told me to use that" was his line. Well I tryed to tell him otherwise and even thought im a tech at a jeep dealership that my family owns, he dident want to hear any of it... So more power too him

pauldo39 said:
Amen to that. Just like every parts store says the OEM pressure cap is 13 psi instead of 16psi; obviously this probably isn't going to be quite as big of a deal but it shows the potential for inaccuracy at parts stores we rely on to provide the correct fluids/parts/etc for our jeeps.

My coolant boiled over twice for no reason until I figured out that's what the problem was.

It's a big deal :)

isn't it writen on the dipstick to only run dex/merc? I'm pretty sure it is on mine, but I could be mistaken :spin1:

traitor5150 said:
Yeah my neighbor last week was doing a fluid change on his aw4 and he asked me to help him get the dipstick tube out, when I asked for the tranny fluid shure enought it was Mopar atf4. So I asked him where he got it he said autozone "they told me to use that" was his line. Well I tryed to tell him otherwise and even thought im a tech at a jeep dealership that my family owns, he dident want to hear any of it... So more power too him
Tell him to crawl underneath and look at the drain plug then.

aw4_drain.jpg

Then ask him - Does it say Dexron, or ATF4+ ??

Jim www.yuccaman.com

j99xj said:
The sad thing is that many Jeep dealers don't know that the XJ's auto requires Dexron/Mercon. Yikes!

I have the same problem with my Neon, too. The dealer always insists that my NV-T350 5-speed takes ATF. I have to beg and cajole to get MTX fluid with the proper friction modifiers for the synchros.

Blaine B. said:
My coolant boiled over twice for no reason until I figured out that's what the problem was.

It's a big deal :)

Really?? A long time ago before I realized what the cap was supposed to be, I had run a 13psi for almost an entire summer without any problems; although that was back before I had cooling system woes, so if my temp had started to creep up I bet it would have boiled over far earlier than it should have.

Instead of crawling under the car and trying to read the drain plug, one could also send the doubting neighbor to his owner's manual. It's a pretty crappy OM, and poorly written, but somewhere in there, you can usually find what you need and interpret it. In the 99 OM, you'll find it on page 196: "Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled DEXRON III or MERCON."

Now perhaps that's ambiguous in some way, since they recommend the Mopar version of Dexron, but it is visibly different from the recommendation for the 2.5 tranny, which is Chrysler ATF+3.

I have been bitching about this same problem for years. ATF+4 instead of DEX-2. How long does it take to get something right? Try to buy rotors for a 87 Wagoneer XJ. They will (at least mine did) argue and insist it is a six lug even when its sitting in the parking lot in front of them. THEN, "I must have changed the axles because their computer is not wrong". I have had it with parts stores. Why cant they hire people with some kind of working knowledge of a auto or at least some parts exp. Better yet pay their employee's better and send them to school.

Sorry to rant but damn. I spend more time arguing or returning the wrong parts than I do working on the damn thing.

ME-> :twak: <-PARTS CLERK

mcnamaag said:
I have been bitching about this same problem for years. ATF+4 instead of DEX-2. How long does it take to get something right? Try to buy rotors for a 87 Wagoneer XJ. They will (at least mine did) argue and insist it is a six lug even when its sitting in the parking lot in front of them. THEN, "I must have changed the axles because their computer is not wrong". I have had it with parts stores. Why cant they hire people with some kind of working knowledge of a auto or at least some parts exp. Better yet pay their employee's better and send them to school.

Sorry to rant but damn. I spend more time arguing or returning the wrong parts than I do working on the damn thing.

ME-> :twak: <-PARTS CLERK

:soapbox:

LOL!! I know what you mean! The big chains are like McDonalds, you see the same type of people working there. I know its not every counterperson but...........

What is the big difference between the 2? I know that tranny's needing Dex II do ok with Dex III in them.

I don't know exactly, but I believe the friction properties of ATV vs Dexron are different.

If you step up (aka if the vehicle requires Dexron II but you use Dexron III) that's better. Just don't go backwards.

If a vehicle calls for ATF+3, you can use ATF+4. etc.....

1985xjlaredo said:
What is the big difference between the 2? I know that tranny's needing Dex II do ok with Dex III in them.

It is to my understanding that Dex II is no longer made, and Dex III is the replacement. I have Dex III in mine from the last filter change I did and have no problems.

Funny how I went to my parts guy (has been friends with my dad since they were kids) and he pulled it up in his computer...sure enough it said I needed Dex III or Mercon, and NOT ATF+4. Maybe I just am lucky that I have a competent parts guy, with one of those rare computer systems that actually has the right information?

Back