• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need help rebuilding a transmission

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I need help rebuilding my transmission because I have no idea what I am doing. If anyone would like to help me out that has done this before I would greatly appreciate it. please let me know. oh I am in san jose

:party:

auto or manual?

its an auto. i dont know anything about my jeep other than its a 1990 4.0. and is an automatic. i put a lift on it and changed the serpentinehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_belt belt but thats it. any help is great help. i like doing the work my self but i just dont want to screw it up to much so it wont work after.

why do you need to rebuild the tranny if you know nothing about it?
did you check the fluid?
make sure its not a sensor?
make sure its not linkage?
you can buyused aw4's for cheap all the time. i tried to sell two this year for 75$ each and couldnt even get that. you could prob get one for 60$ and swap it in a day or so.
pull driveshafts, pull case, disconnect linkage and wiring, then pull tranny. i think thats it but there could be more.

i know how to swap it i just dont know how to rebuild it. I think i need to rebuild it because it gets stuck in high gear when i go to start it and take off in the morning. it will down shift when it is warm but thats it.

fluid is good i just had it changed a few months ago.

I also cant get it to down shift on its own when i am going to pass someone. it will just stay in whatever gear it is in.

I dont know anything about the transmission and sensors so i might just need to change or check one of those.

Where can i find another tranny for that cheap? i would love to pick one up and just rebuild it to have.

i know how to swap it i just dont know how to rebuild it. I think i need to rebuild it because it gets stuck in high gear when i go to start it and take off in the morning. it will down shift when it is warm but thats it.

fluid is good i just had it changed a few months ago.

I also cant get it to down shift on its own when i am going to pass someone. it will just stay in whatever gear it is in.

I dont know anything about the transmission and sensors so i might just need to change or check one of those.

Where can i find another tranny for that cheap? i would love to pick one up and just rebuild it to have.

You need to elaborate more cause what you have described sounds like your throttle position sensor is not working which would be a lot cheaper than a tranny. When you say it gets stuck in high gear do you mean that when in drive it starts of in overdrive or does the engine just rev real high?

when i go out in the morning and start to take off it is in overdrive. only when the jeep is at temp it will start in 1st gear from a stop. if it is cold it will start in od.

when i go to pass someone or just hit the gas no matter what the temp is it will not kick down. i can get it to down shift manually but thats it. this jeep is the most confusing motor i have ever tried to work on.

I dont kow what else it can be other than the tranny.

Last edited:
They are a bitch but work on it and you will get it dialed... first try adjusting the tps.... search the oem tech for the instructions. I think that might help your problem.... the tranny may be shot but i doubt it.

Out of all the things that I would work on the transmission is not one. I have done many things over the years to repair or improve my jeeps, but rebuilding a transmission is best left to a professional shop. Small items as sensors and diagnosis can obviously be performed under the shade of the tree, but transmission rebuild and I don't know what I'm doing should not be part of the same paragraph.

Ok, first things first. Did it ever work? What were you doing when it quit? Did you adjust the Throttle Valve cable? Have you washed your engine lately?

Did you check the transmission fluid? Is it at the right level? Now smell the fluid on the dipstick. Does it smell burnt at all? Think of burning brakes, it will smell similar if the clutches are burnt. If burnt, you need your trans rebuilt, if not burnt then you probably should look in another direction.

Starting out in the wrong gear is different than a slipping trans.

Back