• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Have some question About lift laws

Mark0491

NAXJA Forum User
I live in maine Were lifting a abs equipted Vechle is illegal but i see So many people That have them. SO i finally asked They said if you get a Lift from a Certified deal like rustys of daystar... That you can use it. I cant find any actualy document stating so Because i want to put a 2" lift in But with out Proof of that law im afraid i couldnt inspect it ...

:hang:

Many of us here in Maine drive around in lifted jeeps and also get inspection stickers. My xj does not have ABS but even if it did I dont think you would have any trouble getting a sticker with a lift. And it is true as long as you buy your lift from a manufacturer and not build it yourself its legal. What they are picky on is tire size and not lift. You have to make sure your tires are completely covered so be prepared for some bigger flairs. With 31"s and 32"s you can get a away with stock flairs but anything bigger then that the cops may start pulling you over. I just went to 33"s on my cherokee and havent addressed the flairs yet. So far I havent gotten pulled over yet but I know I will eventually if I dont get some bigger flairs. Thats really all they care about.

For a 2" lift I'd use 30x9.5's and 3" I run 31x10.5's on stock wheels. The stock wheels keep the tires nicely under my flares (tire fits behind them and tucks into the fenderwell nicely). The only problem with my 31's is hitting the control arms at full lock. I've learned to just not go full lock but others put washers behind the steering stops on the axle.

Several excerpts from the lift laws that I linked. Color coded to keep sections together.​

Although a complete review of the rule is recommended for thorough understanding,

the following represents a summary of the changes in rule:

Removes a current restriction regarding vehicle heights on ABSequipped

vehicles.
This will allow the alteration of a vehicle with ABS brakes (reflective of discussions
during the first regular session of the 121st and 122nd Legislatures).

Removes a current restriction regarding vehicle heights on ABSequipped

vehicles.
This will allow the alteration of a vehicle with ABS brakes (reflective of discussions
during the first regular session of the 121st and 122nd Legislatures).

Suspension lifts are permitted if they are manufactured by an

after market manufacturer, are designed for the make and
model vehicle on which they are installed, and if the kit is
installed according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
The entire kit must be used.

If the size of any tire is changed beyond the range of

tires recommended by the manufacturer on a vehicle
that is equipped with an antilock braking system, the

vehicle’s computer and/or other appropriate components must be changed, reprogrammed

or modified so that the vehicle is synchronized to the

new tire size. This change must be documented, and
that documentation must be kept with the vehicle.
The documentation must include, at a minimum:
(1) The date of the alteration.
(2) The original and replacement tire sizes; and
(3) The name of the person who performed the recalibration
or resynchronization.

You Guys are amazing Thank you soo much. Im coing to buy some coils from rustys and use my blocks :) Can anypne fill me in of the wasker trick to stop the Rubbing on the control arm. * Edit * I seached and found that i need a Couple washers ? any pics could help me

Last edited:
gradysjeep said:
Many of us here in Maine drive around in lifted jeeps and also get inspection stickers. My xj does not have ABS but even if it did I dont think you would have any trouble getting a sticker with a lift. And it is true as long as you buy your lift from a manufacturer and not build it yourself its legal. What they are picky on is tire size and not lift. You have to make sure your tires are completely covered so be prepared for some bigger flairs. With 31"s and 32"s you can get a away with stock flairs but anything bigger then that the cops may start pulling you over. I just went to 33"s on my cherokee and havent addressed the flairs yet. So far I havent gotten pulled over yet but I know I will eventually if I dont get some bigger flairs. Thats really all they care about.
you might wanna get those flairs quick. i don't live in maine but my 33's stick out about 6" from the fender and i've been pulled over twice for it. warnings both times but i'm lucky.

Yeah I'm sure its just a matter of time before I see the blues. I plan on putting on some flairs just havent gotten there yet. With my 33"s and 4 inch backspacing they stick out quite a bit not sure its quite 6" though. Ah heck I'll be a pic whore.

tire.jpg

Local cops tend to pull quick u-turns cause my 10.5" wide tires stick out slightly beyond the front flares, but the rears are fine, and thats all they see behind me :D

Still of the opinion your XJ looks great, haven't seen it up this way lately?

gradysjeep said:

You have got to be kidding
0318081828.jpg
and i know your not i am moving 2 the pemaquid area in a few years...............

I just spent a week down in NC, went out to the outer banks. It was rarer to see a truck with tires NOT sticking out :shocked:

Up here it really depends on the town, tires sticking out is OK where I grew up, as long as it's not loud. Where I live now, tires sticking out is one of thier favorite excuses.

Back