• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a basic newbie questions on an xj lift...

You might be able to save your upper shock mounts in the rear by spending time walking those bolts back and forth and using a lot of penetrant. If they break, you'll need to drill and re-tap or go at it from the cargo are (remove carpet, etc.)

Its practically a guarantee that at least one bolts for the leaf springs will give you a headache. Then you can get out the cut off wheel and cut the spring or shackle off, use a saws-all, etc.

Put anti-seize on ALL of these bolts when you re-assemble!!

This is all great info... Thanks

I'm lucky to have the truck I do.. It's mileage is high, but, knock on wood, is in 8 out of 10 condition and rust isn't an issue.

This is all great info... Thanks

I'm lucky to have the truck I do.. It's mileage is high, but, knock on wood, is in 8 out of 10 condition and rust isn't an issue.

The biggest problem with changing the springs is the bolts seize to the bushing sleeve. Even "rust free" Jeeps have problems here. Don't get your hopes up but be pleased if they all come out easy.

Depending on the Subaru, your bone-stock XJ is going to get you further. 3" of lift, coming from a Subie, you will probably not enjoy driving it on the paved section of your trip very much.

Not really worried about ride quality.. A straight axle truck isn't ever gonna be mixed up with a Cadillac.. I just wanna be able to get my camper to the cool spot on the beach! If you guys ever make it to the mid Atlantic, assateague island is about as good as it gets.

Re: Re: I have a basic newbie questions on an xj lift...

Not really worried about ride quality.. A straight axle truck isn't ever gonna be mixed up with a Cadillac.. I just wanna be able to get my camper to the cool spot on the beach! If you guys ever make it to the mid Atlantic, assateague island is about as good as it gets.
Been there. Assateague and Chincoteague are both nice areas minus the bugs.

Well, using cheap shocks will give you a cheap and hard/rough ride. So I'd recommend spending a bit of thought into the setup. OME and Bilstein shocks are highly rated on the forums. Personally I have a 2.5-3" OME lift on my 97 XJ and I like driving it more than my 01 XJ with its stock setup and Monroe Sensa Tracs. I plan on doing something about that in the spring. I don't think you need OME for a great ride, its just what I did on my 97 since I have been eyeing OME for about 15 years. I always left my 01 XJ stock because I had a 93 W250 which rode like a log wagon empty and it made the 01 XJ seem like a car. ;-)

Bottom line, spend more than you wanted/expected on shocks.

Last edited:
So would you recommend piecing a lift together rather than buy a kit? I have found most "kits" as designed to work together better than mismatch parts.. ( in other areas of stuff I've worked on, I'm new to xj's) I don't mind doing it , that's why I started the thread.. To save on buying junk and paying twice

Most people piece together their kits, it may cost slightly more, but you get a custom ride to your liking.

If you're going to tow with the jeep you'll want a stiffer spring, I have the rough country ones, and they are defiantly stiff. I still have the stock shackle and it was a pain to get the spring in place. If you go with rough country, buy longer shackles.

As for shocks, what ever you buy, buy hydraulic shocks rather then nitrogen. They usually ride better. Skyjacker hydros are a great shock, and are fairly inexpensive Maybe 120$ for all four. I had them on my last rig and didn't have any complaints.

A basic lift components are

Springs
Leafs
Shocks
Adjustable track bar (double shear is preferred)
Adjustable lower control arms
If you go any higher than 3" you'll want to look at upper control arm options as well
Extended brake lines
TC drop, or sye.
You can get away with a drop up to about 3.5-4" but you will have some vibes still. But you can run it for a while till you save some $ for an sye

Cb radios are great if you go wheelin with a group, but if you go out on your own I would suggest ham or satellite.
Fog lights, or spot lights
Bumpers are optional

Really though, once you start wheelin, you'll see what you want/need for your driving style. It's a learning experience. :thumbup:

This has given me the opportunity to do some more research on all the parts I'd like to use.. I think I will be piecing the lift together after all. Is there any use looking for deals on used stuff? Am I asking for trouble if I do? I'm sure there are plenty of stand up sellers but I am new to xj's and don't know what parts will last forever and what gets chewed up quickly yet...

Back