• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have $6500 to buy and build

The 8.25 shafts are/were hard to get from suppliers, at least the Alloy USA ones. Go with a D44. If you're going to Moab, I'm sure we can get at least a housing drug out from the vast junkyards of socal for cheap. The 8.8 explorer brakes bolt right on. I just did one of these here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=967146

I'd say drop the money into the 44, and if there's any left over toss a lockright in the front. :)

I have a hard time buying that a 31 spline shaft is 30% stronger than a 30 spline shaft.

Whens the last time you saw a c-clip fail? :)

The downfall to a c-clip is that if you break an axle it will come out of the housing. If you break a full-float axle you can at least be towed home or drive home in front-wheel-drive.

I want a back country (rocky mountains in Colorado) elk hunting rig that will haul my 2 kids, wife, and five days worth of camping gear. It won't be a daily driver, but I will drive it on the street a lot! I also plan on using it in Moab at least once per year.....

Sure that you want an XJ? Suburban might be more along your lines with that much gear.

Here is my XJ with 7 days of gear...for me, the wife, 2 kids 1 dog. It took a very long time to get everything arranged on the roof and strapped down. We now take the van just to haul stuff better. Jeep is also taken to get us off the beaten path once we setup base camp

007_4A.JPG

006_3A.JPG

Back